ToyOBD1 basic Data Logging for Pre OBD2 Toyota's

the place to discus in car computers
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
stanneh

Re: ToyOBD1 basic Data Logging for Pre OBD2 Toyota's

Post by stanneh »

jimi wrote: 14/12/21 17:11 The Check Connector has 5 wires connected on UK MK1
VF
T
+B
FP
E1
in one of the previous links you sent me it stated on some cars its called VF and only on some cars do you need to bridge Te2 to E1 for it to send data over VF

So maybe that Vf on your Diag port is giving out a square wave?

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

I have now added a link to the first post to my new Github Repo with the latest code.

Note this is for ESP32 arduino devices using multiple cores and will not compile for a regular arduino (like an uno).

The ESP32 chip I am using is exactly this

The OLED Display is exactly this (note this is for a pack of 4 screens just search amazon for "SSD1306 oled")

The SD Card Module is exactly this (Again this is a pack of 5
search for singles its nice to have spares)

The code is split into two

The TX version plugs into your Diag port displays the data on screen, logs it and sends it out wirelessly.

If you just want that alone then you just need 1 of each of the above listed items.

if you want a receiver buy two of each if you want 100 receivers buy 100 and they will all work with the RX code on them.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Not expensive are they, a tx & rx pair would be under £40 :th:
I need to go through all the links I posted again, I just skimmed them initially. :)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

jimi wrote: 14/12/21 22:56 Not expensive are they, a tx & rx pair would be under £40 :th:
I need to go through all the links I posted again, I just skimmed them initially. :)
yea they are extremely cheap and plentiful.

If you were willing to wait and order from AliExpress you could probably make 10 of them for £40.

I am still deciding on the power regulator. I have something here to experiment with called a TSR 1-2450 link to more detail here.

This will give me 5v regulated output to the TX board from the 12v of the car it will actually give me regulated 5v from any power source between 6.5 – 32VDC input it has built in circuit protection too, these are probably the same cost as the whole of one of the boards total but you have to safely power that thing and you need to protect your car! the board is replaceable.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Pretty expensive for what it is, a 78 series linear regulator would be far cheaper. Have you considered something like this

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

just created another short vid showing the info screen that pops up on the receiver when no signal is received for 2 seconds.

Also added a boot logo, the logo could load from the SD card you could chose anything.

Last edited by stanneh on 15/12/21 0:59, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

jimi wrote: 15/12/21 0:51 Pretty expensive for what it is, a 78 series linear regulator would be far cheaper. Have you considered something like this
Yea I have and I think the reason I decided to order the TSR was because of its signal filtering capacitors built in and the 94% efficiency so limits heat given the transmitter will need to be contained most likely within the engine bay possibly in the boot its gonna need to be enclosed I wanted to ensure heat was at a minimum.

Also I thought it was cool and wanted to try it out :)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Personally, I'd put it in the boot, why subject it to the crappy engine bay conditions when the boot (or the cabin) is so close and easily accessed. ;)

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

jimi wrote: 15/12/21 1:42 Personally, I'd put it in the boot, why subject it to the crappy engine bay conditions when the boot (or the cabin) is so close and easily accessed. ;)
I totally agree that it's best place would be in the boot.

Then I think well it's mid engine if I am running it to the boot its all the same to run it to the cabin.

Then I remember I don't want any "censored" like that in the cabin.

In the boot it kind of makes the screen on the transmitter a bit useless.

But there is no reason the screen itself couldn't live in the engine bay where it would be more useful to you or a mechanic.

Then I remember it sends the signal out wirelessly so you could use a phone.

I could be here all day lol.

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

MY Car is at the Garage there is really not a lot I can do right now so I've spent some time trying to find suitable enclosures.

If you just want an ip65 enclosure with window for the transmitter thats easy enough but I am really after a nice case for the portable receiver.

I am failing at just looking at project cases etc so started looking at devices I can tear apart and steal the case from.

I'm looking at usb power banks at the moment because

1 they have a usb port for charging

2 they often come with displays I can replace with our display

3 I can use the built in battery and charge mechanism to power the damned thing.

looking at this atm

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

It turns out that AliExpres actually sell the empty shell of these usb power banks :)

Link

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

What do you recon on this?

I can rework the board layout, there is a micro usb port ready for the ESP32 I can use one of the usb ports for the sd slot and keep the other usb port so I can in fact still use it to charge one other device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
stanneh

Post by stanneh »

I couldn't sleep last night so designed my own pcb and ordered 5 examples i hope to get them back in 7 to 10 days.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Is it multi layer ? I don't see any tracks connecting the component pads

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Carputers”