Rev 3 na engine in a Rev 2

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Alex 1984

Rev 3 na engine in a Rev 2

Post by Alex 1984 »

Hello was wondering if anyone has done this before? if so how easy was it? I have the wiring harness for the rev 3 engine and the ecu is pre immobilizer. I suppose your wondering why im going for an engine with virtually the same power output, well it had low (ish) mileage most of all it was cheap. Any help would be fantastic.

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: Rev 3 na engine in a Rev 2

Post by MR2Jay »

Nice idea mate and as you want to stay with an N/A, a worthwhile upgrade....

OK, basing this on the turbo conversion you will need......

Engine (Obviously :rolleyes: )
ECU
Passenger side loom (I think they might be the same but might not - can someone confirm?)

I think that is it.....

With it being a Rev 2, you already have the electronic speedo sensor, so that should be OK.

Can someone confirm? Never done a Rev2 to Rev3 conversion before - always gone for the tubby :blush:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Piece of cake

You need:

Engine - complete including harness
ECU
Igniter + coil pack for rev 3
Intake pipe and air box/induction kit
Exhaust front pipe

that will all be plug and play

You need to re-pin the white plug in the boot for the body harness (5 minute job if you know what goes were, very easy to figure out) have a diagram from when I did mine.

also need to move one of the pins in the engine bay fuse box to power the engine bay fan (blue and white if I remember right) and connect the +12v feeds (purple and black, should be 3 of the same wire) to run through one pin.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Alex 1984

Post by Alex 1984 »

Thanks for the help dudes. Think i have the pass side loom as well but if i can get away with it i'd rather use the existing one cos i'm laaazyyy. Any chance you could send that wiring diagram my way i'm still a fair distance from throwing the new lump in, still at the stage of making it look shiney.
Thanks again.

Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Yep, replacing the body loom isnt really difficult but 1/2 hour with a multimeter and you can beep test the lot and your away. Just dug out my notes out and need to make a bit more sense of what I did, seems a bit messy right now.
Will look in the boot tommorow and will probably make perfect sense.

One thing I didnt need tho was the speed sensor and all that jazz, rev 1 was cable driven. Youll need to trace the 3 wires that come from the gearbox.

(OO==\°/==OO)

Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Right makes sense now, when I did the pin-outs I did them from the back of the plug were the wires go in (I think), guess it made sense at the time
Kinda worried wich way round I did the rest of the plugs now but thats by the by.

Anyway, re did a pinout diagram looking at the FRONT of the plug (NOT were the wires go in but the connection faces.) Bit Basic but thats all there is too it to get your car running.

You should get male to male pins so crimp connectors http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... 40&x=0&y=0 and spare loom wire should be all you need.

Dont forget you will also need to connect up your speedo sensor wires.

all the best

(also if you dont use your spare body loom give me a shout, may have some use for it quite soon)

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Alex 1984

Post by Alex 1984 »

Thanks matey :th: very helpfull. If you need that body loom just give us a shout, doesent look like i will need it.

Topic author
LOKKDOGG

Post by LOKKDOGG »

Hi will the starter motor alternator be the same on a rev2 and a rev4? just spent 750 pound rebuilding m rev 2 engine (h/g timingbelt ect) done 40 miles the it went again....gutted t say the least. However i have sourced an engine out of a uk 98 with 70000 miles on it for 200 squids however there is no acillaries with it need to know what to by so i can get someone to fit it for me :D

Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Mine did exactly the same, why I dont recommend ever rebuilding the rev 2 engines, much cheaper to get a running unit.

Starter is the same across all revisions.

EDIT
Also everything I listed above :th:

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Espolaz

Post by Espolaz »

Hi. I know this is old but im doing an na rev1-2 to a rev 3 turbo and was wondering about the electric connections plug in trunk between harnesses using the na body and turbo engine harness. Na has 6 wires and turbo ha 9 . How do i correctly match them up? Thanx

dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I've put a Rev 3 engine in a Rev 2 and was wondering if you still have that picture? Photobucket being awful and all! Thanks!
Chris69 wrote: 08/04/11 20:28 Right makes sense now, when I did the pin-outs I did them from the back of the plug were the wires go in (I think), guess it made sense at the time
Kinda worried wich way round I did the rest of the plugs now but thats by the by.

Anyway, re did a pinout diagram looking at the FRONT of the plug (NOT were the wires go in but the connection faces.) Bit Basic but thats all there is too it to get your car running.

You should get male to male pins so crimp connectors http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... 40&x=0&y=0 and spare loom wire should be all you need.

all the best

(also if you dont use your spare body loom give me a shout, may have some use for it quite soon)

Topic author
jimjam92

Post by jimjam92 »

dark_uk wrote: 27/11/17 21:42 Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I've put a Rev 3 engine in a Rev 2 and was wondering if you still have that picture? Photobucket being awful and all! Thanks!
Chris69 wrote: 08/04/11 20:28 Right makes sense now, when I did the pin-outs I did them from the back of the plug were the wires go in (I think), guess it made sense at the time

all the best

Did you ever get a reply to this? Also in need of this diagram.

Again sorry for dragging up an old thread.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

:confused1:
I can see the image on all of Chris's posts and the quotes. Here it is again
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

If your using Firefox or Chrome there's a fix for Photobucket http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/134/16633 ... hotobucket
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”