Raspberry pi £25 computer with big performance

the place to discus in car computers
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Raspberry pi £25 computer with big performance

Post by chaos19810 »

I'm going to get one and see what I can I have no experence in this but am a quick learner!

Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Registered my interest (I have an account with Farnell at work). I think this kind of technology is going to prove very interesting indeed for the future :)

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
PBee

Post by PBee »

chaos19810 wrote:I'm going to get one and see what I can I have no experence in this but am a quick learner!
I'm thinking that's the first problem... the initial batch were sold out in less than a minute this morning - according to Sky News. :sad:

I've registered my interest with RS components - it's all you can do at the moment...

Although found some great stuff on http://www.mp3car.com ready to go with it

3-Axis Accelerometer $29.99 http://store.mp3car.com/3_Axis_Accelero ... om-073.htm

GPS receiver $36.95 http://store.mp3car.com/New_BU_353_S4_W ... ps-004.htm

Some 'nice to have' bits, although Oil Press, Boost, Oil Temp, Intake Temp etc sensors shouldn't be hard to find at a good price (simple components after all).

Then with a bit of FREE open source software like this sort of stuff (although make sure it's Linux compatible)

https://autoappmart.com/categories/DashXL_32

You've got a Sat-Nav and digital dash monitoring engine variables and cool stuff like G's :D

Remember, the whole point of this cheap micro computer is to encourage programming, so a community will quickly form and I suspect carputers are going to become a lot cheaper and easier to set up... cant wait! :yahoo:

MartinR
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 2

Raspberry pi £25 computer with big performance

Post by MartinR »

Just had a read through and I like the idea's flying round....
Wonder who's going to be the first to buy these in and make a business out of putting everything together ;) I know it goes over my head (could probably learn but it's not my cup of tea tbh) so would be good to have the equipment without the bother ;) haha
2 Highland Drives, 1 Full JAE, 1 Part JAE, 1 France Trip, 1 North Wales Run, 2 Dyno days, 3 Karting Events, 1 Scotland Meet, countless Yorkshire Meets and even more Northwest Meets later... Im MR2-less, for now!

Topic author
ulysess1966

Post by ulysess1966 »

I've got a RaspberryPi on order, but I'm not holding my breath as there is talk of mid-May being the delivery date at the minute. I've got a few ideas on the way and I've got a cheap 7" touch screen already built for it (total cost about £20) -

http://rgwni.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/ive ... f-lcd.html

What I want to do is use the RPi as a front end for a system that will read engine parameters in my 4A-GZE and trigger a couple of tricks (one using the CS injector) to give a little extra power on demand. The back end will use a PIC microcontroller for reliability.

One thing is that you'll need some knowledge of Linux to make anything work, in spite of what is being said in the press, I wouln't consider the RPi a 'beginners' computer.

Topic author
ulysess1966

Post by ulysess1966 »

Tsunami wrote:Keep in mind you will have to add a few peripherals such as screen, power supply (I am guessing it will need some form of converter) solid state drive etc. to make it work, but still, it is a bargain. Shame it only runs flavours of linux. A working Android setup would be useful too as would say XP.
Basic 5 volt supply is all that is needed and the whole thing runs off an SD card so the solid-state drive is part of the system.

The RPi will run Android if you want, but the Linux designed for it is a much better option and if you are really determined, Wine will let you run most Windoze applications in Linux (if you must!).

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

I did think of using the CS (Cold Start) injector in the Tubby to richen the fuel but was told by someone else with much more experience in engine management that it couldn't be done. I think the problem is the CS injector is not designed like the main injectors than can be pulsed very quickly, rather it is just designed to open fully for a number of seconds. I just raised the fuel pressure to the upper limit instead.

Topic author
Kaptin Orsum

Post by Kaptin Orsum »

Guys I work for Farnell in Leeds and I managed to blag one of the intial batch. Still waiting on it ariving. They are amazingly powerful for the price, no sooner had I placed my order I started thinking of this exact same use.

They're a tad fragile without a case, however they don't need any cooling fans due to the size so as long as you can find a place to store it where air can circulate, you're laughing.

Have you seen the footage of one of these running Quake 3 at 30fps? Also 1080i bluray rips? Impressive.

Topic author
ulysess1966

Post by ulysess1966 »

MR2DI4 wrote:I did think of using the CS (Cold Start) injector in the Tubby to richen the fuel but was told by someone else with much more experience in engine management that it couldn't be done. I think the problem is the CS injector is not designed like the main injectors than can be pulsed very quickly, rather it is just designed to open fully for a number of seconds. I just raised the fuel pressure to the upper limit instead.
Those are all good points, but the famous 'Grunt Box' designed for the US MK1 SC uses the CSI to get over a dead patch in the fuel map and it works. The trick seems to be to build a circuit that will pulse the CSI under certain tightly-controlled conditions (throttle and RPM) and use it sparingly.

I wouldn't trust the R-Pi to do this though, that would be under the control of a PIC-based circuit (I have a prototype working), but with a data-stream output via serial RS232 that the R-Pi could pic up, analyse and display as bars or dials.

Something like that anyway if I ever get it working :)

Topic author
xjairusx

Post by xjairusx »

My friends was shipped today, hopefully getting mine in the next week to! Wish my car was OBD2 but i'm pretty sure its not as a Rev 1? Otherwise it'd be easy to get a nice dashboard going on something!

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2

Post by chaos19810 »

Was wondering if anyone had had any started working with the RPi yet?
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

These are back on sale at Farnell (CPC). Got me one wingin' it's way to me (version 2) :th:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Michi
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Michi »

Ive had mine for a while its well worth £25 and you can do what you like with it iam still learning as used to working with windows but it all good fun !
the MR2 is more than a car, it's a lifestyle.

Wilkie Senior
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Wilkie Senior »

Looking at the prices of these and the accessory prices worth a play

I was thinking of stripping down the "extra" laptops i have lying around and build into the car

but i am thinking more and more of this

i have reasonable knowledge but always eager to learn more is someone brave enough to be the "Guru" :notworthy: and possibly we could do "project builds" together in a thread?

its like most things making that first step, one of the posters in this thread or elsewhere, cannot remeber where, has their own blog site for these little minxs, but i could be wrong

i did register but cant rember a bl bl blasted thing :facepalm:

i have been looking at this site i am cosidering myself a novice on these devices so start at the beggining a very good place to start said mary poppins!!!!!

http://www.raspberry-pi.co.uk/
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Carputers”