Supercharger mk2 rev2

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
fimmo

Re: Supercharger mk2 rev2

Post by fimmo »

i see where your coming from,totally but i wont even bother listing my reasons why not to bother with any sort of 3s-ge upgrades

sorry but i'm at that age (39) and been into mr2's in every form over the last 10 years and can 100% safely say, with 100% satisfaction because i've been there and done that...

just dont bother lol,

my little turbo nissan juke 1.6 remapped is comfortable at 221 bhp lol, this is what is acheivable nowadays,the 3s-ge in most 2's are over 10 years old and were designed to do what they do perfectly, unless you have deep pockets you can read up on all the figures you like but when i done it, and i bet any money you'd hit the same probs as me, when you supercharge a n/a engine, you'll come across problems that when you need straight solid answers not opinions and thoughts you hit such a dry spot you might as well be in the desert

if you crave more power, swap for a turbo, if the urge to tinker and be unique, faff about with a v6,if its a supercharger that gets you damp, then go v6, save up,then go down that route, i did, and i've never looked back.

the n/a engine in all its revisions barring the 3s-fe ( i've had that sorry to say) is amazing, just do the usual, induction/exhaust thing and if you need to cams etc but once you add it all up, you'll be out of pocket compared to a turbo conversion which will hand your back end to you every time

go for it if you want,life's too short, but i seriously hope you'll see sense and do what i did, put it down to a bad thought and move on

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Cheers for the advice but i think the 3sge is just in my system and I see so many posts saying "dont bother its not worth it" I just feel a need to try and prove us all wrong or at least attack it from a different direction, maybe it's the folly of youth but I think until I've tried to work a little magic I wont be satisfied. To me the V6 and Turbo options seem a little too easy, the SC V6 would probably do it but I'd need to destroy the 3sge before getting to that stage.

Tbh ive now got 2 3sgte engines and possibly a 3rd to add to it if the turbo i'm seeing tomorrow is any good so I may try and get it running on one of those first to prove the basic concept and then wire it up to the 3sge. Its not going to be any time within the next 6 months anyway, probably just another crazy idea rattling around up there. I do get bored quite quickly but its one that's always been in the back of my mind. Similar to the 4age, would love to tune one of those to the 9's as well. For now I'm just going to keep digging around. Someone somewhere knows how its done!
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
fimmo

Post by fimmo »

bash on mate, thats what makes the modifying world 'different' and interesting, but after all these years, the reason 'it hasnt been done before' is purely down to the FACT its a waste of time and money, because i've tried it,and very very very clearly understood its a complete waste ,i'm seriously trying to save you the hassle and money, but if your determined, bash on, i shall wait with my popcorn, watching to tell you 'i told you so' lol

as for all your spare engines.... i have a mate, and we sort of fell out recently because of this, dont mistake your enthusiasm for mr2's with collecting scrap or what he calls projects., just start with picking the best car, looking at the best spare turbo engine and get it done lol

why oh why buy yet another, possibly, not working tubby to go with the rest that you have? i just dont get it?

maybe as you say, folly of youth, but luckily, i now know why my dad used to get so angry at me, telling me to do things, but i knew better and went out and bought so many... projects... astra gte's still make me smile but i can hear my wallet running away!

advice is.. and please, feel free to laugh and ignore it...dont bother with yet another tubby, just stop, look at what you have, draw up a plan, and get an amazing mr2 built, trust me, you'll thank me, when your boosting down the A92

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Ahh, don't get me wrong mate I'm not collecting "scrap," there is a plan and if there's no chance of profit or use of parts on my existing cars I wouldn't even consider the purchase.
As it stands the MK1 will be the main project to completion but after that I will be wanting to do something else. This is the something else. Besides, how many TRD's do you have now ;)
Tbh I would love the workshop space you have and get my own collection but for now its more about profit, finishing the MK1 and then making the n/a as good as it can be. The extra engine's are actually going to be for sale but having already broken even on the GT4 and still having the engine is a bonus. I'm still hoping to get rid of it and that profit should break me even on the turbo. Tbh I was actually looking into an n/a engine to use but the turbo came up at the rite time.
The only reason I have 2 engines already is one in the GT4 still unsold and I also had a spare Gen 3 lump from an ST205 thrown in with the purchase, which is going in the MK1.

Back to the Supercharger idea, before hi-jacking this thread in entirety...... I look forward to proving you all wrong :cheeky:
I'm not arrogant enough to believe its going to be easy and fully appreciate the advice but that just spurs me on to find a way to make it work.
Tbh even if it is a total waste of time at least I can stand up and say I gave it a go. At that point you can give me all the "I told you so's" you like. It wont hurt nearly as much as facing failure, I hate being defeated!
Aside from saying "dont bother," if there's any other advice you can give, pitfalls you faced and things I may not have thought of ect I'm all ears.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
replete

Post by replete »

So @Christ69, did you get anywhere with the supercharger?

Topic author
Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

replete wrote:So @Christ69, did you get anywhere with the supercharger?
Maybe he's still working on it so he can post back here and not get a 'Told you so!'

Anyone know what happened with this dude and his enthusiasm?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”