MR2 LED install

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

MR2 LED install

Post by eringobragh »

Changing most the interior lights (and some exterior) to LED I received some yesterday:

More communist mail :) ...no canbus worries on the MR2...ordered a rake of LEDs for the 2...the dash clocks, door lights, boot, reg plate and dome light.

So far 2 packages have arrived, very impressed with the dome lights

LED Lights - 48 SMD led board x2:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LED -vs- Halogen SIDE BY SIDE

Dual LED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

FINAL RESULT:

These 12SMD bulbs are destined for the dash clocks ;)

Topic author
eringobragh

Re: MR2 LED install

Post by eringobragh »

Fitted my chinese LEDs to the MR2 dash panel,,

Have to say its night and day the comparison! some difference..camera had same shutter speed as OEM bulbs / leds

12 SMD Leds

Pull Apart half the dash:

Remove cluster:

The bulb holders need slight modification, using a small screw driver push in the contact clips and up the side contacts

....the moment of truth...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Close ups:

As for brightness even at full dial its perfect...way brighter then OEM but no need to break out the sunglasses! :cool:

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Looks good!

Got a link to those dash LEDs? I used some similar ones to do this: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/58/154790.html :th:

You might be interested in that to make the red bits of the dials more red now you've got those LED bulbs in....

Torero
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Torero »

Yeah, that looks very good. :clapping:

The blue LEDs I fitted to the dash are nowhere near as sharp as that.

shinny

Post by shinny »

Torero wrote:Yeah, that looks very good. :clapping:

The blue LEDs I fitted to the dash are nowhere near as sharp as that.
They'll also totally fail to illuminate your needles at night - which kinda makes them pointless, no? I had to rip out the blue LEDs from my dash as they were awful IMHO :blush:

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

shinny wrote:Looks good!

Got a link to those dash LEDs? I used some similar ones to do this: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/58/154790.html :th:

You might be interested in that to make the red bits of the dials more red now you've got those LED bulbs in....
That link doesn't work for me....if you could quote what ye did that would be great :th:

The red itself has faded a bit from the rev5 clocks...but any tips are welcome..

as for LEDs see below

Yep...you'll need 2 packs (4 bulbs) of the below...takes about 2 weeks to get here but with change from €3 you cant complain!

4 x 12 SMD LED (For dash clocks)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/370651800588?ssP ... 1497.l2649

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Looking good! Have you got a link to those dome led boards? Big thumbs up!

Sent from my GT-I9100

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

Love the interior lights but i wouldn't want to have to turn one on while driving !!

Agree with Mark; i put LED's in my Rev5 clocks and came through pink. Bought some red transparency as Mark suggested and got it to glow through red ... like this..

The LED's made the red very pink! The transparency transformed that and the pic doesn't do it justice!
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

d-peg wrote:Love the interior lights but i wouldn't want to have to turn one on while driving !!

Agree with Mark; i put LED's in my Rev5 clocks and came through pink. Bought some red transparency as Mark suggested and got it to glow through red ... like this..

The LED's made the red very pink! The transparency transformed that and the pic doesn't do it justice!
any links to the install of the transparency or where to get it? I presume it must sits on top of the LED bulb?

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

baileydom wrote:Looking good! Have you got a link to those dome led boards? Big thumbs up!

Sent from my GT-I9100
The very one here, comes with 3M doublesided mounting tape so plug and play ;)

2 x 48 SMD for Dome lights

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/120978263984?ssP ... 1497.l2649

shinny

Post by shinny »

eringobragh wrote:That link doesn't work for me....if you could quote what ye did that would be great :th:
That's because it's in a member's only area on the forum. The information is also outlined here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=166187

Thanks for the link to those bulbs - I might get some of them as they look a fraction brighter than the ones I have. I had been wanting to produce a smoked instrument cluster (Defi style) but never found bright enough illumination so far :blush:

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

d-peg wrote:Love the interior lights but i wouldn't want to have to turn one on while driving !!

d-peg did you use the flame red or primary red transparency? or where did youget it?

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

Not too happy with the boot light in the MR2...the filament bulb was worse then useless and the 8SMD LED was pretty poor as well, I'd given up and used my LED torch to find stuff in the boot...then I got a 140 LED strip and soldered on a 501 connector...and at last there was light!

...also the passenger seat is out and the heating pads are fitted...but thats enough for one day. I also want to soundproof under the seats while their out. with some deadening stuff that E39 MSport gave me ages ago.

LED

Blurry before pic but you get the idea....

After no comparison!

gavwheater

Post by gavwheater »

hi were did you get the strip led light from can you post a link also is there a way to fit this to the front for when the front bonnet is open?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”