Highland Drive 2013 chat thread

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Highland Drive 2013 chat thread

Post by TonyleFrog »

Change the logo at the end to Toyota and we have the Highland Drive promotional ad... :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/three?ID=1230

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

Was just looking at the amount of crap I carry in my car and the extra weight. I've only got a trolley jack and don't fancy taking it on the trip so would someone lend me theirs if I got a puncture,which I pray I don't!

So who's car is ready? And who still has bits and pieces to fix before the trip? I've had to replace 3 calipers in the last few months and I'm wondering if not doing the 4th is going to come bk to cause me problems!

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Myself, wedge, Steve and Al were chatting about tools the other day. We are going to make a list and each take 1 or 2 things to make a half decent tool kit :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
toymr2

Post by toymr2 »

vinp182 wrote:Myself, wedge, Steve and Al were chatting about tools the other day. We are going to make a list and each take 1 or 2 things to make a half decent tool kit :th:
I will bring my AA membership card :D

Topic author
toymr2

Post by toymr2 »

Glen N wrote:Was just looking at the amount of crap I carry in my car and the extra weight. I've only got a trolley jack and don't fancy taking it on the trip so would someone lend me theirs if I got a puncture,which I pray I don't!

So who's car is ready? And who still has bits and pieces to fix before the trip? I've had to replace 3 calipers in the last few months and I'm wondering if not doing the 4th is going to come bk to cause me problems!
Hi Glen I am in a mk3 this year(mk2 turbo last year) so not much spare room, but I have a std jack which are welcome to use. The car is more or less ready only needs a good clean and polish. From doing 7 previous highland drives, the cars take a real hammering so need to be in tip top condition so I would get the 4th calliper replaced :)

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

I found I was carrying around 30-40 kilos of tools and carp. Cleared it all out and handling was much more.... Pleasant haha.

So the car is serviced, mot'd, I fitted all four Bigg Red calipers yesterday and now I'm just waiting for those time wasters mytyres to deliver my new tyres for fitting. Then clean and polish and hoping I'll have the red beastly ready.

Maybe it would be good for everyone to agree to take different items like some friends and I did for a trip to Tuscany. Someone takes a trolley jack, someone else takes spanners... Blah.

Personally I plan on taking my first aid kits, tyre weld, power steering fluid, 3/8's and 1/4 socket sets and some ratchet spanners. Tbh a trolley jack may be ott as virtually everyone has a standard jack, but fold up axle stands are very handy.

Main thing to remember is your pmr radios and chargers.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

Topic author
toymr2

Post by toymr2 »

I will bring some fold up axle stands, and if I ditch the spare wheel a compact tool kit.

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Ripley »

Just got my front strut brace to fit and do an oil change :D Had hoped to do the brace today but didnt quite manage. Tomorrow looks promising though :th:

Save the bunnies!

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Wabbitkilla wrote:Tbh a trolley jack may be ott as virtually everyone has a standard jack, but fold up axle stands are very handy.
We all know you Mk3 chap/esses only have room for an additional pocket handkerchief! :laughing
The standard manual jack can be a bit dodgy if the surface isn't level. The hydraulic type is much more stable and far less effort to use.

I'll happily volunteer to bring my trolley jack + folding axle stands. They have their own carry case so it can all go as ballast in the passenger footwell.

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

TonyleFrog wrote: We all know you Mk3 chap/esses only have room for an additional pocket handkerchief! :laughing
Well you know we have to carry something for the MK2 owners to cry in to ;) :bleh:

Anyway that asides, it's good to get everyone helping out bringing different bits of kit, makes the job lighter for everyone at the end of the day. :clapping:
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Wabbitkilla wrote:
TonyleFrog wrote: We all know you Mk3 chap/esses only have room for an additional pocket handkerchief! :laughing
Well you know we have to carry something for the MK2 owners to cry in to ;) :bleh:
Superfluous in my case - I have my beard... :cheeky:

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

Ill take my socket set,its got pretty much everything we will need I think. I've had to do loads to get my car ready,it was originally for sale as I couldn't be bothered with the hastle of another project,have now done the top mounts,drop links,ball joints,shockers,springs,disks,pads,3 calipers,oil and filter,dizzy and rotor,wheels,flexi on the exhaust,put a proper interior in it and a load more. Not bad for 4 months!! I think I will replace that last caliper and to the other bits I've not got round to,tie rods,arb bushes,fuel filter and spark plugs which will be a pita if I need to remove the trc. I can imagine how hard the trip will be on the cars,just glad I've got AA cover and parts/labour cover

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

Upgraded my AA cover to Home Relay! I won't bring any tools, just a genuine mechanic!

Got the MOT to get past next week, just need a new set of front pads, not going to put any on until just before the drive though as there's still a good 3-4mm of material to burn through. The C7Rs still need refurbing, but the Enkeis are a fair bit lighter wheels, and the tyres are still barely scrubbed in, so I'll just leave them on I think ;)

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

What experiences have you guys had on past trips of cars breaking down etc? Or have they been mostly reliable?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Highland Drive 2013”