How To:- Pair an Mk2 MR2 Alarm Fob (Factory)

Topic author
eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by eringobragh »

please see link below for how to with correct pictures

https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... bartid=274

Long time lurker here lads..I'm over on the Irish forum (mr2.ie), I have a 00mk2 rev5 which born in the UK! Just thought I'd register on here also as I've gotten a wealth of knowledge from here as well.

Anyway I'll give some back with this write up:

MODS: Feel free to edit or remove this as you feel fit - I will however say theres way easier ways of disabling a Toyota alarm then the steps below with less hassle and the fact that this does NOT remove the transponder key out of the equation means your car is still safe..besides you need the cars key to do this!! ...just my caveat!

Well guys I got the car with only one fob which is feckin pain...but as luck would have it theres plenty of these fobs going around for buttons on eBay, scrappies, etc. This guide is for a Mk2 MR2 Rev 5 (2000) but should be the same for all mk2s..I feel a picture says a thousand words so I hope this helps at least one of ye!

I myself picked up a brandnew fob in Toyota bubblewrap for £7 sterling delivered off eBay.

Now the tricky part making it work with your car!

1) Get a fob - doesn't matter if its been used before - Part No for my TVSS IIIB fob is 08191-00880

2) Take off trim around radio and heater (see fitting radio guides for this)

3) Remove screws on heater assembley and tie it up around radio area (you may need to unplug cables)

4) In the wiring guide it mentions the TVSS ECU is located behind the trim behind the drivers seat (under seatbelt) however while fitting a new radio I noticed the ECU behind the heater assembly so decided to kill 2 birds...

5) Pull with a bit of force to remove the ECU from its place (its stuck down)

6) Remove philips screw and revit from protective plate..my cordless drill batteries are "censored" and as it was wet today I didn't fancy running a lead out to the car!

7) Pull the Protective Plate up

8) Pull back the foam cover

9) Put your ignition to ACC

10) Time to pair the fob - hold the green button on the ECU in for more then 2 seconds until the security light stays solid then release (times out after 5 seconds)

11) Within 5 seconds (while security lights solid) hold down the 2 buttons on the fob until the indicator lights flash

Test your fob locks / unlocks car. Your done..:D

NOTE: You can only pair 4 fobs to the one car! The Last 4 paired fobs will be the only active ones.

12) Reverse actions as before, re-rivet the TVSS ECU if need be.

ATTACHED is the part of the TVSS IIB manual...helped me alot with this!

EDIT: Couldn't attach but manual is here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy/ai ... SSIIIB.pdf

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: How To:- Pair an Mk2 MR2 Alarm Fob (Factory)

Post by jimi »

:cool1: Thanks for sharing :th:
I've moved it to "MK2 Useful Information" and when I get time I'll add it to "Know Your 2"
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Nice - I'm going to have to do this soon so thanks :th:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Racer7
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Racer7 »

I was looking at this very thing today.

One thing I'm unsure though: I have an after market alarm (Avital Maxx1) so use a different fob to unlock the car. Does this means it bypasses the TVSSIIB completely or could I still technically pair my acquired used fob to lock/unlock the car. I have one of those all in one units (buttons in the key head).

My second question.... any ideas how to programme the transponder? (I've got a Rev5 too)

Cheers and thanks for the picture guide! :clapping:

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

^ You'll have to pair with the ECU off your manufactorers alarm ECU...i'd hazard a guess that the TVSS IIB has been bypassed completely..you should be able to find info online about it though.

Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Thanks.

Is it even possible to pair a Toyota fob to an after market alarm? :confused1:

If so it could mean one less thing to carry!

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

No mate unfortunately not..do you have 2 fobs for your car?

Best thing in that scenario is stop using one of them

Anyway here's the manual for your system: It has the programming procedure in there:

http://rovertech.clanteam.com/depo/avit ... nstall.pdf

You'll need a PIN by the looks of things.

Heres some spares as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-KEYLES ... ccessories

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hi all
Sorry to resurrect an old thread

Do you have any info on the two button fob. What battery is it.
D I have to change the battery within ten seconds or something.

Also is there any options by pressing buttons more than once or holding them down or is it basic ones and close only.

Cheers all

MRPagey

Post by MRPagey »

The battery is a watch battery or similar.

After replacing it, hold down both buttons for 10 seconds, then press the unlock button twice and they should work.
Sig size 350 by 80 and 15kb only

Tazz1981

Post by Tazz1981 »

Sorry to jump on a thread but I bought my 2 a week ago, and all it came with is a key, no fob, but it does have the security light on the dash. It's a 1993 (Rev 2 methinks) N/A UK GT. Does anyone know, if I was to follow the steps at the beginning of the thread after acquiring some key fobs, if I would have any troubles doing this? I did notice a whole drilled in to the dash, it looks like where a security light would be, but obviously there is nothing aftermarket set up as I don't have a fob and I've been driving around with no problems! Much appreciated!

MRPagey

Post by MRPagey »

I thought they only came on Rev 3 MK2's onwards, but I could be wrong.
Sig size 350 by 80 and 15kb only

KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Hi,
Bless you for this actual, real valid information from an owner who knows it works! - I've been g00gling for the last couple of weeks and followed no less than FOUR methods of 'reprogramming alarm fobs', of which precisely ZERO have actually worked. I was in a real pickle today, having lost my key and fob when I got back to the car after a nice long relaxing walk along a sunny beach (how about THAT for an emotional r0ller-c0aster? "Ahh, this is the life, I must do this more often - wait, where's the key? F***!! Arrgghh!! Where? How? Why ME??
I could have done this when I had the stereo out a few days ago - when I was bending my fingers back pulling the old tape deck out. I think I'll get another fob, to give me three in total, and maybe secure one (plastic wrapped) under the car for emergency use, I've done the same with keys on other cars over the years.
Incidentally, the Toyota dealer wanted £68 for a new fob, and £45+vat for pairing it to the car. There are complete new systems on ebay for under £40!
The actual alarm horn is non-op on my car - I see 12Volt alarm sirens for peanuts online, can you tell me where the siren actually is on my car - I'm guessing it's a seperate siren, and not relayed to the cars' horn?

Many thanks again for your wise words. This alone will be worth membership several times over! :)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

KeischiiFan wrote:Hi,
Bless you for this actual, real valid information from an owner who knows it works! - I've been g00gling for the last couple of weeks and followed no less than FOUR methods of 'reprogramming alarm fobs', of which precisely ZERO have actually worked. I was in a real pickle today, having lost my key and fob when I got back to the car after a nice long relaxing walk along a sunny beach (how about THAT for an emotional r0ller-c0aster? "Ahh, this is the life, I must do this more often - wait, where's the key? F***!! Arrgghh!! Where? How? Why ME??
I could have done this when I had the stereo out a few days ago - when I was bending my fingers back pulling the old tape deck out. I think I'll get another fob, to give me three in total, and maybe secure one (plastic wrapped) under the car for emergency use, I've done the same with keys on other cars over the years.
Incidentally, the Toyota dealer wanted £68 for a new fob, and £45+vat for pairing it to the car. There are complete new systems on ebay for under £40!
The actual alarm horn is non-op on my car - I see 12Volt alarm sirens for peanuts online, can you tell me where the siren actually is on my car - I'm guessing it's a seperate siren, and not relayed to the cars' horn?

Many thanks again for your wise words. This alone will be worth membership several times over! :)
Cheers for the kind words...Your siren is in the passenger side wheel well - and the reason it's damaged is because its waterlogged - I know because mine was gone when I got the car. Trick is to put the new siren in a thick plastic bag (I used 2 from internet routers) and have had no issues since.

To get at it you need to remove the plastic liner in your passenger side front arch. The toyota horns seem to be interchangeable meaning you can use a TVSS V siren is a TVSS IIB setup, the partnos are different but it works. I got mine from ebay, second hand froma landcruiser, just as well as Toyota Ireland wanted €180 for the siren, picked one up for €25 from UK.

I looked at the 12V ones but couldn't find any wiring info on the TVSS system. Anyway hope this helps ;)

jimi wrote:Now added to Know Your 2 http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=274

Cheers Lad :th:

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”