Intermittent radio

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Charts100

Intermittent radio

Post by Charts100 »

I've had my mk3 ('03) for 3 months now, but only started using it over the last week. It has the standard radio/CD fitted.

My radio seems to be working intermittently. It comes on when the ignition is on, ariel operates as it should, and then after a random amount of time the sound disappears. The radio is still powered and the LCD is illuminated, the ariel stays up. If I turn it off then on again, via the volume button, it comes back on but still no sound.

I have searched for other threads, but I haven't found any of a similar nature.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Charts100

Topic author
proflex656

Re: Intermittent radio

Post by proflex656 »

Hi....sounds like a loose connection somewhere ?
Does the cd player work with no problems ?
Have you checked the ariel plug/cable into the back of the radio ?
Maybe it's a trapped or damaged wire to the speakers....have you had a look at the wiring into the doors and speakers, have you checked the connectors to the back of the radio unit ?
Could be an option to slide the radio unit out, clean and check the block connectors and replace, doing the same for the speakers.
The above would be my first job... then...
If all checks out fine, it might be time to pick up a second hand radio/cd unit and swap it in ?
Radios and cd players do just give up sometimes....
:-)
jr

Topic author
Charts100

Post by Charts100 »

Thanks JR.

I think it might be a duff head unit, but I will have the unit out and check the connections.

charts

ansys

Post by ansys »

Hi there, my radio is starting to do the same thing. It powers on fine, the display works, it searches and finds the various stations, etc. The only thing is that the speakers are cutting in/out randomly. Mostly out. Sometimes if I just keep powering on/off the car while parked (engine off), the speakers will come back randomly. They usually go out again while driving though. I do not notice any “speaker crackle” either when the sound cuts in/out.

It is an aftermarket stereo, and while probably unrelated, my alternator belt was a little loose the last couple weeks and I’ve just tightened it back.

What ended up being the solution to your problem?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”