Convoy

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
CleMR2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 1

Convoy

Post by CleMR2 »

Is anyone planning to meet at Tebay on the way up like usual?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Convoy

Post by vinp182 »

You might as well meet Pete and Tony round here too dude :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Pete and I will be heading up that way from Skipton. We're setting off at 10 but no firm plan of the route yet.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Shell Station, M6/A74 Northbound, Todhills, Carlisle CA6 4HA
This is my stop on the way up - Shell petrol

then I will stop and fill up here just before Broxden Perth (24 miles)
Station, A9 Southbound, Dunblane FK15 0NB

Dont know what Time I will be here though but looks like if I leave at 09.30 which should suit the traffic and steady drive up.
around 14.00 at Todhills
around 16.00 at Dunblane Shell
around 16.30 at the travlelodge
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

I haven't decided on a route atm. I could convoy with Pete and Ian (meet at Hilton Park or Stafford?) then on to Tebay to hook up with the Yorkist mob.

I find motorways mind numbingly tedious though, so if we do convoy up I plan to take a break by leaving the A74(M) at Moffat and following the A701 to Edinburgh. It's a nice cross country cruise and there is the bonus of the climb up the Devil's Beef Tub. Shell garages just off route at Dreghorn or Queensferry without the inflated prices charged at motorway services.

The more direct alternative for me is to head up the A1/A1(M) to Leeming Bar. Thence to Leyburn, Reeth and Barnard Castle. From there either via Alston or Hexham to Kielder Forest and Jedburgh then the A68 to Edinburgh. Maybe the Yorkists might fancy that instead?

Discuss... :)
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

peteV6R5

Post by peteV6R5 »

TonyleFrog wrote:I haven't decided on a route atm. I could convoy with Pete and Ian (meet at Hilton Park or Stafford?) then on to Tebay to hook up with the Yorkist mob.

I find motorways mind numbingly tedious though, so if we do convoy up I plan to take a break by leaving the A74(M) at Moffat and following the A701 to Edinburgh. It's a nice cross country cruise and there is the bonus of the climb up the Devil's Beef Tub. Shell garages just off route at Dreghorn or Queensferry without the inflated prices charged at motorway services.

The more direct alternative for me is to head up the A1/A1(M) to Leeming Bar. Thence to Leyburn, Reeth and Barnard Castle. From there either via Alston or Hexham to Kielder Forest and Jedburgh then the A68 to Edinburgh. Maybe the Yorkists might fancy that instead?

Discuss... :)
you have PM

I am not going to tebay - no shell. Todhills then dunblane for shell fuel.
Can make todhill on tank - 150 to dunblane (25 to Perth) more important c200 miles to Inverness shell.

If you want to hook up at stafford - can do that also.
Was thinking of Sandach / Knutsford for P stop (depending)

Pete

Topic author
CleMR2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15

Post by CleMR2 »

Like the idea of a quick detour from the motorway Tony so when you've decided let us know.

Keele have got Shell but it's a bit early on, even my car can get further than that without running out of fuel.

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Considering going up the M6 past Carlisel (Todhills Shell if necesary) then up the A7, there is allegedly a Shell station in Selkirk up towards Edinburgh.

I can probably go all the way without filling up but don't want that Esso crap in my tank from Broxden again so will fill up with Shell when I can.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

CleMR2 wrote:Like the idea of a quick detour from the motorway Tony so when you've decided let us know.
Will do. I have arranged to text PeteV6 on Thursday morning before he leaves to let him know whether I will be going via M6 or A1/A1(M). I'm thinking the B roads over the fells in Durham, Cumbria, and Northumberland followed by lunch at the visitor centre in Kielder Forest may be a more attractive alternative than more miles of motorway. I'll have done
more than enough of that already coming up from Kent!

CleMR2 wrote:Keele have got Shell but it's a bit early on, even my car can get further than that without running out of fuel.
Shell available at:
Keele services
A500/B5078 just off J16
A580 East Lancs Road just off J23
Charnock Richard services
Carlisle North (Todhills)
Wabbitkilla wrote:Considering going up the M6 past Carlisel (Todhills Shell if necesary) then up the A7, there is allegedly a Shell station in Selkirk up towards Edinburgh.
We stopped in Selkirk for a comfort break on the way back from a previous Highland Drive.
That was the year I got caught by the lights in Humshaugh and we got split up.

I make a note of every Shell garage I pass for future reference as my car needs 99RON. :)
The one is Selkirk is on the A7 just south of the town centre.

Hillside Service Station
Hillside Terrace
Selkirk
TD7 4BA

If you do go that way and I decide to go A1/A1(M) we could hook up there. Or you (and any like minded Yorkists) might head over to Leyburn and join me for a cruise along some decent roads...
Wabbitkilla wrote:I can probably go all the way without filling up but don't want that Esso crap in my tank from Broxden again so will fill up with Shell when I can.
Amen to that! :rolleyes:
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

peteV6R5

Post by peteV6R5 »

if you guys want to go A1 and A/B roads then no probs and I will join up in Perth.
Happy either way as I will be just pootling up saving some fuel (no not eco warrior) to balance off the burning of fuel over 4 days :yahoo: :D :D :D :D :D
will be pooting at 70 (60 is the resonance frequency of the japspeed :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: so needs to be a bit higher than that - or ear plugs).
will still text with ETA at Todhills if you want to join up for steady drive up M6 / M9 / A9

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Highland Drive 2014”