Cotswolds Mega Meet February 2015 - chat

The home for all your pictures and videos of MR2OC meets and events.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Cotswolds Mega Meet February 2015 - chat

Post by jimGTS »

i dont think anyone is doubting 1.2bar on a rev3+ turbo is fast, (compared to stock).
most are pretty quick at level of boost.
:th:

......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

vinp182
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Just giving my opinion on the car dude :th: (not sure what my opinion is worth though tbh)
Cars suck donkey balls

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

your opinion is as valid as anyone elses, more so if your comparing it to a stock boosted one. :th:

but given your not lighting up the tyres in any gear in the dry proves HMs isnt magically making 600+ hp on a stock turbo.
:D

id guess he simply needs better dampening, potentially lower tyre pressures and worse case better tyres if he wants to not worry about lighting up the rears in the wet in such a high gear?? given your comments.

but its always good to let someone else drive your mr2 for comparison, mr2turbotom described mine as a little more laggy (ct26 hybrid + sidemount), but more top end than his. also considered my suspension setup one of the best he'd driven. (and hes driven dozens).
ive since done a few bits since he's test run mine but always nice to hear good comments from other owners and im sure HM will be pleased to hear you consider his fast, well im sure anyone would love hearing comments like that of your own car.
:cool1:
______Azure blue______

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Cheers for taking it out Vin, and the for the nice comments! Sorry for the headache too!

I'll try and explain a little better. It doesn't wheelspin like a drift car, it breaks traction for a split second. Not all the time, and its not something you can provoke like you can in lower gears. An example was on a single carriageway that goes dual lanes. I was doing 70mph to overtake when it went dual, dropped it into 4th and booted it, and you could feel it breaking traction when the boost came in full. The road was pretty damp and the surface not terribly good. That's my definition of spinning the wheels.

As I was telling Vin, the boost controller really is a bit ferocious in how it delivers the boost, with the ebc turned off it really feels like there is something wrong with the car, with such a difference!

Hope that clears it up.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

And Pete, you can have a go when we next meet up and see what I mean about a dab of the throttle. I'll try and explain that one too. When you are in 3rd at about 4k rpm and maintaining speed, the merest prod of the throttle just shoots the boost up to full and the response is instantaneous. This is what I meant. When pulling from low speed to high, my foot was to the floor, but when on the move already and in the boost sweet spot, it really is just a dab of the throttle and your off, again, I think this is down to the boost controller and its trickery. :th:

This combined with my pretty firm coilovers means when pushing it you can accidentally prod the accelerator pedal on a bad road!

HM

ads2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by ads2 »

back to the pictures , here's my paltry contribution .. post mountain rally mode obviously

excuse shocking picture quality / shocking state of car

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

ads2 wrote:back to the pictures , here's my paltry contribution .. post mountain rally mode obviously

excuse shocking picture quality / shocking state of car

Who took that, you or Suzie?

:laughing

Just goes to show the muck on the roads we had to drive down!

HM

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Most with a properly setup controller with have response like that.

Only thing you need to be worried about is boost coming in too fast otherwise you will have boost spikes for sure which will give a very strange up and down torque feeling. Faster isn't always better from my experience for boost coming in.

Either way you clearly like the way a tubby behaves :th:
______Azure blue______

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

jimGTS wrote:Most with a properly setup controller with have response like that.

Only thing you need to be worried about is boost coming in too fast otherwise you will have boost spikes for sure which will give a very strange up and down torque feeling. Faster isn't always better from my experience for boost coming in.

Either way you clearly like the way a tubby behaves :th:
I do Jim, it's pretty amazing for the money it owes me. I have the controller setup to limit boost at 1.2 but it only really hits 1.17 peak even in these cold temperatures. My second setting limits the gain and puts it at 1 bar Max, but I've used it once and kept it on 1.2 ever since after it went into warning mode, even throughout the winter lol

Regarding boost spikes, I did get them at first, but a complete refresh of the HT side recently (and a fettle with the ebc) cured a slight misfire and it just pulls hard in every gear now with no letup. Again, prod the throttle in 5th at 75mph and you are at licence losing speeds before you know it.

Not that I ever do that of course! :)

I am a tortoise on the road apparently!

HM

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

I know what you mean about the boost control, I like it sharp.
If I accelerate lightly to 3k revs in third and then apply full throttle, instant full boost and it'll light up the tyres in third in the dry (245, Michelin Ps3)
Although 1.3bar at 2.5k in 5th is tough on the stock clutch, tends to slip occasionally, but it's great to have so much torque on the motorway
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

MRturboTom wrote:I know what you mean about the boost control, I like it sharp.
If I accelerate lightly to 3k revs in third and then apply full throttle, instant full boost and it'll light up the tyres in third in the dry (245, Michelin Ps3)
Yes, this is what I get in mine, and what I was trying to explain! Only, minor throttle movements give full boost on mine at certain revs. Just done it a few times in 4th when the roads were poor and covered in muck. This meet no exception.

Throw in unknown welsh roads, ridiculously stiff suspension, a twisty road and muck, ice and snow and that'll be me in Captain Slow mode!!! :blush:

I also drive to what I can see, i'm not a quick driver, but if I can see open clear road, you'll see my rear plates. ;)

HM
Last edited by Howlin_Mad on 17/02/15 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
MRturboTom wrote:I know what you mean about the boost control, I like it sharp.
Yes, this is what I get in mine, and what I was trying to explain! Only, minor throttle movements give full boost on mine at certain revs.

Throw in unknown welsh roads, ridiculously stiff suspension, a twisty road and muck, ice and snow and that'll be me in Captain Slow mode!!! :blush:

I also drive to what I can see, i'm not a quick driver, but if I can see open clear road, you'll see my rear plates. ;)

HM
I got air on a few occasions on our run lol
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Got another invite to Curborough this year, so might take the opportunity to put it through it's paces. Sadly after the Highland Drive though :blush:

HM

Topic author
sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
but if I can see open clear road, you'll see my rear plates. ;)

HM
Haha, I don't think I saw your rear plates once :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2OC Event pictures and videos”