Lower drink drive limit Scotland

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
toymr2

Lower drink drive limit Scotland

Post by toymr2 »

Scotland has slashed its drink-drive limit, meaning drivers who have less than a pint could be breaking the law.

The Scottish Parliament unanimously approved the reduction from the UK-wide 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood to 50mg, in line with several European countries.

It means motorists crossing the border could be legal in England and arrested across the border.

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Lower drink drive limit Scotland

Post by chris »

I have a zero tolerance policy of my own anyway... if I'm driving, I don't drink so no bother... :th:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

It's the next day you have to be very very wary of now.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

PsyKen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PsyKen »

I'm the same as Chris.

People need to understand and respect how long alcohol takes to leave their bodies. Especially if you're driving the next day. If you're unsure, use a breath test. I've used the European ones before and I want a decent digital one. Not so I can drink as much as I'm allowed, but so I'm confident I'm legal.

We have strict rules at work (trains), and I apply the same restrictions to myself for driving.

No alcohol 8 hours before driving, and be knowledgeable about the units consumed.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
My Flickr
My Car Camera Playlist

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Know what you are drinking, and when you are going to be driving next. Doesn't stop you from enjoying yourself if you are in the know.

Got the hat.

Simples.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

toymr2 wrote:Scotland has slashed its drink-drive limit, meaning drivers who have less than a pint could be breaking the law.

The Scottish Parliament unanimously approved the reduction from the UK-wide 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood to 50mg, in line with several European countries.
A tad late to the party, methinks...
The legislation changed just over 3 months ago.*
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2014/ ... ion/1/made
In plenty of time to catch those who overdid it at Hogmanay!

These are the figures that Sassenach drivers need to know.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2014/ ... ion/2/made

* In the run up to the change there were pages of debate in multiple threads on PH.
toymr2 wrote:It means motorists crossing the border could be legal in England and arrested across the border.
Arrest is the least of one's problems. We now have the anomaly that, because the driving licence is a UK document. an English or Welsh visitor can now be disqualified for something that is not even an offence in his/her home country! I don't for one moment condone drink driving (I follow the same policy as Ken) but the literal double standard which is now in place doesn't sit well with me. Where does it stop? Apply genuine localism (the new favourite buzzword) so that every region, or even county, could have its own limits?

One thing is certain though imo. The lower limit will sooner or later be coming to E&W. The only question is whether it will happen before someone south of the border mounts a legal challenge (possibly in the EHCR, akin to Francis over S.172).

Have a look at this map - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Co ... t&t=m&z=14
Two ways to get from Coldstream to Kelso. If you're a Scot and can get halfway across the bridge...

Anyway, it could be worse. Things are much more draconian across the pond. How many people are aware that many US states have an ignition interlock law, in which judges require all or some convicted drunk drivers to install interlocks in their cars to analyze their breath and disable the engine if alcohol is detected?
GHSA wrote: 20 states (and 4 California counties) have made ignition interlocks mandatory or highly incentivized for all convicted drunk drivers, even first-time offenders.
Furthermore Federal law mandates that states adopt open container laws. This prohibits the possession of any open alcohol beverage container, or the consumption of any alcoholic beverage, in the passenger area of any motor vehicle located on a public highway, or the right-of-way of a public highway.

That means not even your passenger(s) can have a swig while inside the vehicle.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

TonyleFrog wrote: A tad late to the party, methinks...
The legislation changed just over 3 months ago.*
We are well aware of when it changed, it was all over the media for months ;)
I'm pretty sure Peter posted it in this particular forum as a reminder to all those coming from South of the Border :)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by Wabbitkilla »

But then from July a fair bit of the Highlands get cheaper fuel for their transport. About time really.

Drink driving, it's not big and it's not clever. This change is really aimed at the morning after and we must all remember that and be responsible.

When will we be getting laws about us even thinking of having a drink or a bit of fun?
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

None of us are massive drinkers anyways so nowt to worry about IMO

Thanks for the heads up though Peter :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

jimi wrote:We are well aware of when it changed, it was all over the media for months ;)
I'm pretty sure Peter posted it in this particular forum as a reminder to all those coming from South of the Border :)
Fair enough. The English invasion is only just over 5 weeks away. :)

Nobody called Edward coming though. ;) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6cnXFiE6I
Wabbitkilla wrote:Drink driving, it's not big and it's not clever. This change is really aimed at the morning after and we must all remember that and be responsible.

When will we be getting laws about us even thinking of having a drink or a bit of fun?
22µg means that we are almost there already.

As for fun, don't encourage them or we will end up like Australia.
http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw ... 8n4491.pdf
Note the actual wording used in the title of the Act!
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Highland Drive 2015”