This may be my final help post :D (hopefully)

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sirRhodes

This may be my final help post :D (hopefully)

Post by sirRhodes »

Hi guys and gals.
My mr2 is so close I can almost taste the victory (i think) :th:

Right so after about 2 or 3000 rpm it revs up perfectly, its just still from idle that it just revs slowly and then once it warms up its even worse, it can still rev but it is much slower once it is warm, I am just free revving it whilst in neutral if that changes anything.

I have taken a few videos and the exhaust might as well be a flame thrower :laughing (it is a janspeed system by the way) could that mean it is over fueling?

Does anybody have any ideas on why it doesn't rev up from idle easily (unless that is a common problem) and then revs a bit more slowly once it is warm.

Thanks in advance.

Topic author
sirRhodes

Re: This may be my final help post :D (hopefully)

Post by sirRhodes »

could it possibly be the crank sensor?

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsmFBLN7LUI
Here is a vid of it revving :)

Torero
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Torero »

Just a punt but it sounds like the timing may be too far advanced to me.
“The upside of painful knowledge is so much greater than the downside of blissful ignorance.” - Sheryl Sandberg.

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

Possibly, but basically I have it turned all the way to the drivers side and if I turn it to the passengers side at all it will then start running worse, so can the timing be adjusted by changing the rotor arm ever so slightly or can it only be adjusted by spinning the distributor assembly??
If it is only the distributor then I presume there is nothing more that can be done?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

There is no crank sensor on a 4A-GE. Why not set the timing correctly following the correct Toyota procedure ? Page IG11 of the BGB download it from here if you don't already have it. http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/199/105677.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

oh
well my point is I don't think it can be altered any more? If the only alteration I can make is by turning the distributor assembly then it can't be moved any further as like I said before it is all the way to the drivers side so it cannot be moved further that way and if I even make a minuscule movement towards the passenger side it starts running worse.

Please correct me if I am wrong but to my knowledge the only adjustment that can be made is the the distributor assembly but then like I said its all the way over to one side and if I try to move it to the other it starts to run rough

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Your missing the point, the ECU alters the timing dynamically, to do this is uses inputs from various sensors, TPS, IAT, MAP and signals from the distributor, it then uses preprogrammed "maps" to decide how to alter the fueling and timing. It's not like the old points type distributor where the full advance/retard could be achieved by turning the distributor.
For this system to work properly the timing must be set in static mode (ie the ECU is temporarily prevented from altering the timing) to do this you need to link out T and E1 on the check connector then set the timing using a strobe light to 10° BTDC at idle (by turning the distributor) before removing the link and checking that the timing (at idle) is now more than 16°BTDC.
All this is laid out by Toyota in the BGB which you can download via the link I posted ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

oooohhhh yeah ok I see
I'll try and get around to it soon enough, its started chucking it down so will probably need to be done tomorrow.

Cheers :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”