AW11 - vented fuel cap?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Guyc

AW11 - vented fuel cap?

Post by Guyc »

Does anyone know whether the AW11 is supposed to have a vented fuel cap? My Mk1b is creating an awful lot of positive pressure (not a vaccum) in the fuel tamk after only a 12-15 mile run. The owners handbook says a small amount of pressure should be expected but this seems excessive to me.

The downloadable technical manual suggests fuel tank venting through a carbon filter, but I have had a good investoigation and cannot see evidence of this on my vehicle. Maybe this only applies to US market spec cars?

Any thoughs much appreciated.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: AW11 - vented fuel cap?

Post by jimi »

Perfectly normal to get a release of pressure when you take the filler cap off a MK1 and no it's not supposed to have a vented cap.
Guyc wrote:but this seems excessive to me.
Based on ??
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

I get a hiss if I've driven the car far and it has less than 1/2 a tank. But I don't usually get anything crazy

Topic author
Guyc

Post by Guyc »

Thank you for your quick replies.

Jimi - my "This seems excessive to me" comment is purely based on the force at which the pressure is expelled from the tank when the cap is removed. It's not a simple "whoosh" that you'd get as if you opened a bottle of lemonade, for example; it is significantly louder and with a kot of air flow coming out of the tank. Difficult to describe / explain or find a better analogy other than that ...

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”