Mk1a alternator

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Bufter2009

Mk1a alternator

Post by Bufter2009 »

Hi guys
I'm new to the club,and this is my first post.
I have to renew the alternator on my mk1a .im told there is a difference between the 1a&1b alternators poss amperage difference .is this right ?.
Just want to make sure a buy the right one.
Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks

Topic author
fingers99

Re: Mk1a alternator

Post by fingers99 »

This place has a good parts catalogue which should be useful. Just match your old alternator. http://www.startermotor-alternator.co.uk/

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

The very early MK1a's (84/85) had a 60A alternator, all the later 1a's and b's had a 70A alternator. Other than the current there's no real difference, the battery connection is in a slightly different place (cable is long enough to reach) and I believe the ring crimp is smaller on the older cars. It's really only the SC's had a different style alternator, so a 70A will fit fine. IIRC some of the non OEM alternators are 65A but will work fine.
I actually have a Camry alternator on mine just had to change the voltage regulator to the MR2 one (Camry one worked OK but the charge light wouldn't go out even though it was charging fine)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Bufter2009

Post by Bufter2009 »

Thanks for the info.
I'm getting the battery charging warning light and the engine fan warning light coming on when the battery is under load.ie motorway driving light on stereo on etc... :confused1:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Sounds like it's on it's way out, although it could also be a duff battery. What's the voltmeter doing when the warning lights are on ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Bufter2009

Post by Bufter2009 »

The volt meter is fine with the warning lights on always showing about 14v.i did the battery and alternator lead test recommend on this site,they came back fine..so I'm thinking it must be the alternator.thing is the previous owner fitted a new alternator to the car about 7000 miles ago...but is it the correct one..I don't no.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”