Headlight issue

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Reecep86@gmail.com

Headlight issue

Post by Reecep86@gmail.com »

Evening all

From what i can find there is various issues that crop up with the mk1 headlights but i can't seem to find an answer for mine. I have owned my MK1 just over 2 weeks now and absolutely love apart from one problem with the headlights which it has had since i got it.

When i turn the lights on the passenger side headlight works at full brightness but the driverside one is very dim, its on but its like it is not receiving enough power to power the lamp properly.

I have changed the bulb, no difference
Checked the plug with a multi meter and all seems ok but bulb is still dim

Has anyone got any ideas because now the mornings and evenings are very dark and most Thursday nights i drive up to Rugby so really need to get this sorted as soon as.

Thanks in advance

Reece

Topic author
Reecep86@gmail.com

Re: Headlight issue

Resolved

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Reecep86@gmail.com wrote:Resolved
Glad you fixed it. Post up how you did so others with a similar problem can find the answer if they search on here :)

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

On the mk2 that would indicate a blown fuse on that side. IDK if the mk1 wiring is the same.

Topic author
Reecep86@gmail.com

Morning

I just ran and extra set of wires for the bulb from the other headlight. It looks like there is a wiring issue on the drivers side for the headlight some I'm just using the power from the other headlight and its power both just fine

Reece

shinny

Post by shinny »

Reecep86@gmail.com wrote:Morning

I just ran and extra set of wires for the bulb from the other headlight. It looks like there is a wiring issue on the drivers side for the headlight some I'm just using the power from the other headlight and its power both just fine

Reece
Well that's a heck of a hack for what may well be just a blown fuse and mostly wouldn't be advised to double the current on a set of wiring without double checking fuses first. But if it works for you...

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

The wiring from each headlight joins together before going to the switch, it's only separate on the fuse side. That said it could just be a blown fuse, also depending on the year it could have a dim/dip circuit (which in effect puts both dim beams in series on the sidelight position). Most 1b's had dim/dip 1a's didn't. Which switch (headlight position was it doing this in ? 2 or 3. Taking 1 as off and 4 as locked up
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

shinny

Post by shinny »

jimi wrote:The wiring from each headlight joins together before going to the switch, it's only separate on the fuse side.
Sounds just like the mk2 wiring then... alas I don't have AW11 wiring diagrams to prove it. However if you pull the passenger side fuse, this is what happens:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

shinny wrote: Sounds just like the mk2 wiring then... alas I don't have AW11 wiring diagrams to prove it.
It depends on the year, if it's a 1b with dim/dip then that won't happen as there are 4 headlight fuses, one for each beam. If it's a 1a without dim/dip then there's only 2 fuses one for each side, so I'd expect the same behaviour as the MK2
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Reecep86@gmail.com

Hi all

That picture shown is the exact problem I had. I checked all the fuses and they are fine so it must be the wiring.

Thanks again for your help guys

Reece

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”