JAE 2016

8-11 September 2016 - Newark Showground
General Information, tickets, camping & hotels, events & activities

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: JAE 2016

Post by TonyleFrog »

Protok wrote:The tent we use for JAE doesn't get used for anything else because if we are going to JAE then we aren't going camping anywhere else.
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't see the sense in buying something that will only get used for 3 nights out of 365 in a year. Poor RoI imo,

I have no idea how you guys 'n girls manage to spunk that much moolah at JAE. Even staying for 3 nights at a Travelodge I got nowhere close to racking up £275.

I don't mind raiding the piggy bank to go to Scotland. Next year will be my 7th Highland Drive. By far the best roads in the UK and almost entirely free of traffic, stunning scenery, good food, and excellent company. All round win. Not suitable for those who want to get rat a***d on successive evenings though...

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

I think everyone overlooked Vinny's comment...
vinp182 wrote:Camping with elec hook up is usually around £15 a night for a decent site anyway with no car show attached to it :th:
So looking at it that way it's not all that bad really.
Everyone has camping gear, if you need new camping gear, that's an add on to your expenses for that year and years to come but not just JAE 2016.

I get that by the time you've spent £400-500 on new gear that adds up to the price of a cheap holiday abroad - then add on airport parking, food, drink other niceties and you're up to a grand on that one too.

Anyhoo... MR2OC has booked, we will be there and we'd dearly love all our MR2 friends to be there too :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

For me its the not the cost compared to other things. Its just the cost for what you get (not get from the club cos thats awesome :)) from the event. Frankly yes £45 for 3 nights camping isnt bad but for that I'd expect better site facilities than Newark Showground can provide and a few more things going on rather than just drifting and offroad. Having said all of that I'll probably still be going again as the oc stand was bloody great. :):)

Topic author
Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

550 for a JAE!! Wow.

Maybe I should start putting people up in my tent?

Have the organisers given any reason for the increase?

I don't believe John or Nigel would just whack the prices up without good reason. Hopefully better facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:
Protok wrote:The tent we use for JAE doesn't get used for anything else because if we are going to JAE then we aren't going camping anywhere else.
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't see the sense in buying something that will only get used for 3 nights out of 365 in a year. Poor RoI imo,

I have no idea how you guys 'n girls manage to spunk that much moolah at JAE. Even staying for 3 nights at a Travelodge I got nowhere close to racking up £275.

I don't mind raiding the piggy bank to go to Scotland. Next year will be my 7th Highland Drive. By far the best roads in the UK and almost entirely free of traffic, stunning scenery, good food, and excellent company. All round win. Not suitable for those who want to get rat a***d on successive evenings though...
Different events Tony. I spanked 1200 quid easy on the Highland drive and then some. Yet only 400 on JAE (petrol included and tenting supplies and food and beer and tickets). Whilst the Highland drive was a, err drive, JAE is more a park and have fun.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

parker455

Post by parker455 »

I would personally prefer to park up with the club at jae (cost me £100 ish last time, student living and all) , Rev the tits off my car at 6am like the Honda kids and have a good time than +£1000 on the highland drive. But depends what you're into.

Sample jays chilli and reds exotic meats with beer/whisky and not remembering talking to Chris for a good hour or so, or early morning thrill drives..

I'm young, go figure :thumbs:

Show 'n' Shine winner - Aug '13
Rev2 Turbo - '93

lewiswhitmore524
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by lewiswhitmore524 »

You all bring huge mansion tents anyway. Talk about glamping! Anyone is more than welcome to share my 2 man tent-of-restricted-dimensions with me. Although you may gamble and lose on the reason i was given the nickname of pump-boy.

The MR2 OC stand had more facilities than newark showground once everyone was set up! Hire a portaloo and we'd have the lot! Hahah
'93 Zircon Blue Turbo
'90 Astral Black G-Limited NA Auto (V6 soon)

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

lewiswhitmore524 wrote:You all bring huge mansion tents anyway. Talk about glamping! Anyone is more than welcome to share my 2 man tent-of-restricted-dimensions with me. Although you may gamble and lose on the reason i was given the nickname of pump-boy.

The MR2 OC stand had more facilities than newark showground once everyone was set up! Hire a portaloo and we'd have the lot! Hahah
If you've got to do it. Do it properly :D

Might be in a different car in 2016...

HM

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

parker455 wrote:I would personally prefer to park up with the club at jae (cost me £100 ish last time, student living and all) , Rev the tits off my car at 6am like the Honda kids and have a good time than +£1000 on the highland drive. But depends what you're into.

Sample jays chilli and reds exotic meats with beer/whisky and not remembering talking to Chris for a good hour or so, or early morning thrill drives..

I'm young, go figure :thumbs:

You'd rather look at your car than drive it? :confused1:
Cars suck donkey balls

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Howlin_Mad wrote: Different events Tony. I spanked 1200 quid easy on the Highland drive and then some.
HM
WTF did you spend that kinda money on? :shocked: I spent a couple hundred more than that but there were 2 of us and we had 5 days in Edinborough after the HD
Cars suck donkey balls

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

vinp182 wrote:
Howlin_Mad wrote: Different events Tony. I spanked 1200 quid easy on the Highland drive and then some.
HM
WTF did you spend that kinda money on? :shocked: I spent a couple hundred more than that but there were 2 of us and we had 5 days in Edinborough after the HD
The MR2 costs 26p a mile to run. I don't factor in depreciation, but include MOT tax and insurance, so £500 for starters. £90 on octane booster, £130 for the B&B, £75 ish for the travelodges, food and drink on top and it all adds up.

HM

PsyKen
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PsyKen »

But if you go nowhere you still have to pay for mot, tax and insurance..

Another year I'm not coming, but for a good reason. I'll be away tieing the knot :D
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
My Flickr
My Car Camera Playlist

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

PsyKen wrote:But if you go nowhere you still have to pay for mot, tax and insurance..

Another year I'm not coming, but for a good reason. I'll be away tieing the knot :D
We are talking the HD here, which is a driving holiday. But it still costs 26p a mile to get to JAE and back.

And I guess that is a valid reason for excusing yourself! Congratulations.

HM

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
vinp182 wrote:
HM
The MR2 costs 26p a mile to run. I don't factor in depreciation, but include MOT tax and insurance, so £500 for starters. £90 on octane booster, £130 for the B&B, £75 ish for the travelodges, food and drink on top and it all adds up.

HM
You might as well include your council tax and mortgage if you are gonna include all your other standard annual bills :facepalm:
Cars suck donkey balls

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “JAE - 2016”