Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

The home for all your pictures and videos of MR2OC meets and events.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

Post by jimGTS »

be kind!!

but lots of cameo's in these 2 sessions below, so at some point, i may have passed :blush:
(aside from Mark aka Shinny, think only car i didn't see on here aside from when he was off, not that i noticed while out there :blush: ).

i think half way into session 1 i was starting to find what worked for me, whether that be right or wrong, i probably should have got an instructor. :confused1:

fastest lap i clocked was a 1.10 and a few 1.11s going by the timing on the camera.

great videos already posted!!! i need to watch them again, they go from one extreme of Gav taking corners with his pinky out and theres Mark holding on for dear life with the car squirming under braking. :rofl:

Mark looked like he had crazy amount of grip out there!!

anyways, slightly worrying, on my spin, oil pressure dropped to zero and it sounds like the engine is still running! :shocked: :shocked: hopefully not damaged anything there. :facepalm: :annoyed: :shocked:

session1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qav4szBu4ms

session2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jv05Ctj3ts

......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
Woody928
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

Managed to edit the video of my first session with Instructor, I've left it quite long and included the break in the pits with the instructor as he continues to talk about the lines, braking points and gears for those that are interested. Hopefully its of interest to some, apologies in advance for the wind noise but it was inevitable with the T-bars out. I'll have to look at a lower mounting position for the camera next time as the rear view mirror obscures quite a lot of the view out front unfortunately.

Skip to 19 minutes to see me get some opposite lock on ;)

EDIT - Removed pending amendment

I'll try and get my second session done sometime this week for comparison :th:
Last edited by Woody928 on 08/03/16 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

I'm looking forward to watching the videos once I'm out of this meeting :th:
jimGTS wrote:Mark looked like he had crazy amount of grip out there!!
Which Mark are you talking about? ;)

(AD08Rs for the win!!!)
jimGTS wrote:fastest lap i clocked was a 1.10 and a few 1.11s going by the timing on the camera.
I took a rough timing off one lap from my camera and was in the 1m11s / 1m12s area. IDK how much variance I had as I only caught a couple of clean(ish) laps on camera.

1m10s is pretty impressive IMHO... I suspect you're a better driver than me though :th:
jimGTS wrote:anyways, slightly worrying, on my spin, oil pressure dropped to zero and it sounds like the engine is still running! :shocked: :shocked: hopefully not damaged anything there. :facepalm: :annoyed: :shocked:
My Defi gauge flickered on the warning light (below 1.1bar IIRC) while I was locked up, heading to the gravel. I wouldn't worry if it was just a moment. :th:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

you for sure were braking alot later than i was. :th:
though i guess this is what caused your brake fade :crybaby: more braking abuse.

after my spin, i didnt want to be braking too late or too hard after any high speed straight, lol, i dont think i stomped on them too hard at all in both sessions. kept them alive i guess!

i do need to address my pads and fluid potentially. im not overly confident in them.

id have loved to of braked as late as you did!
______Azure blue______

shinny

Post by shinny »

TonyleFrog wrote:Out of interest where is your braking point for Brooklands relative to the bend indicator and was it the same for both laps?
I was aiming to stand on the brakes as I reached the kerb on the right hand side. The lap of the "off", the video suggests I braked 1/3s later than the previous lap. My friend figured out that means I traveled 18m further, given I was doing 118mph at the time! :blink:
gavsdavs wrote:Looks like you eventually hit heatsoak - you can hear your calipers moaning a couple of corners before and you then ask a lot of them. Good that you had more speed and that you felt confident enough to brake later, you need to find where these limits are :)
I was having a lot of fun and pushing the car pretty hard. The track (especially one with such large run-off like Silverstone) is one of the few, good places to explore the limits of the car and I think I eventually found them!

Still got huge confidence in the car. Just need to learn how to drive it now :laughing

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

shinny wrote:
TonyleFrog wrote:Out of interest where is your braking point for Brooklands relative to the bend indicator and was it the same for both laps?
I was aiming to stand on the brakes as I reached the kerb on the right hand side.
That's where i was braking too - just as the red&white kerbing started. However I think i was ending up closer to the upright marker pillar and then turning a bit harder. You seen to turn in a bit sooner.

shinny

Post by shinny »

"This video is private."

You might want to switch it from "private" to "unlisted" Mark :th:

Topic author
Woody928

Post by Woody928 »

shinny wrote:My GoPro malfunctioned and lost all my footage from the first session. Here's my view of the second session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01byckNvi_I

Here's a side-by side comparison of my little "off". The pedal definitely felt softer than previously, but if you scroll through carefully I'm going faster and brake later on the way too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HD6_Z8BLbw

Apologies for the temporary tack closure folks!
Good viewing, those tyres certainly have some grip! Whats most interesting for me to see is how the extra boost your running with a good charge cooler setup is giving that bit extra on the straights just like Jim. Both of you are comfortably into fifth for the straights pretty much on the start finish line and still accelerating, whereas I couldn't even hit fifth by the end of either straight. I believe I'm correct in saying your not running massive amount more power than me? so I can only assume that's the chargecooler vs my stock IC which must have been heatsoaked to buggery after a couple of laps....

I had no way to measure my temps either with only the stock temp gauge, better cooling is now most definitely at the top of the list now! I may need to invest sooner rather than later as well...

Great circuit to really go for it with the run off as you say, I must admit I wouldn't have wanted to have been in your position come the end of the straight. You were certainly carrying some serious speed! Like a lot though the brakes just couldn't cope...
shinny wrote: "This video is private."

You might want to switch it from "private" to "unlisted" Mark :th:
Public now, try again :blush:

EDIT - Removed pending amendment
Last edited by Woody928 on 08/03/16 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Woody928 wrote:Managed to edit the video of my first session with Instructor, I've left it quite long and included the break in the pits with the instructor as he continues to talk about the lines, braking points and gears for those that are interested. Hopefully its of interest to some, apologies in advance for the wind noise but it was inevitable with the T-bars out. I'll have to look at a lower mounting position for the camera next time as the rear view mirror obscures quite a lot of the view out front unfortunately.

Skip to 19 minutes to see me get some opposite lock on ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEy1GinmdKM

I'll try and get my second session done sometime this week for comparison :th:

wheres the pits chat in the vid, i must be going mad??

sweet video.
rear view mirror sure does get in the way though of the road view from that angle. :crybaby:

glad weather held out for us, the early morning sessions on youtube from other owners sure is damp.
______Azure blue______

Topic author
Woody928

Post by Woody928 »

jimGTS wrote: wheres the pits chat in the vid, i must be going mad??

sweet video.
rear view mirror sure does get in the way though of the road view from that angle. :crybaby:

glad weather held out for us, the early morning sessions on youtube from other owners sure is damp.
Your not going mad, I shouldn't be trying to edit videos at nearly 1am when I'm tired. I've stitched the wrong videos together :facepalm: I'll go through it all later and sort out both videos. I think I've managed to mix both sessions together.

Will have to spend some time finding a decent mounting location for future events, will likely go with the center box idea when I've got the time. Must admit it is very frustrating to watch with that blocking the view directly ahead.

We did get very lucky, I was most relieved! Got any links from the morning sessions?

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

jimGTS wrote:glad weather held out for us, the early morning sessions on youtube from other owners sure is damp.
Like this one? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSu23Beqq4

Losing traction at Becketts many times plus several other twitchy moments! :blink:

Shockingly poor use of mirrors/track etiquette by the Audi @ 5:34 :facepalm:

If you lack enough grunt to pass the Fezza before Copse, get out of the f*****g way! :ranting1:

The weather wasn't too brilliant when we left either. We definitely had the best of it.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

holy shizzz, that moment around 8mins!
______Azure blue______

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Nice driving jim - I suspect your spin was simply down to cold tyres.
Quick car :)

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

TonyleFrog wrote: Like this one? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSu23Beqq4

Shockingly poor use of mirrors/track etiquette by the Audi @ 5:34 :facepalm:

If you lack enough grunt to pass the Fezza before Copse, get out of the f*****g way! :ranting1:
To be blunt, the ferrari's driving was poor, the BMW was too pushy (he went past off the blackstuff) and the Audi was being patient. He could have moved left, but it looked like he was trying to work out what the 458 driver was up to.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2OC Event pictures and videos”