Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

The home for all your pictures and videos of MR2OC meets and events.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

Post by shinny »

jimGTS wrote:holy shizzz, that moment around 8mins!
I was at WOT through Woodcote, generally passing through 100mph as I accelerated onto the pit straight. To have lost grip would have been hella-scary!! :shocked:
jimGTS wrote:anyways, slightly worrying, on my spin, oil pressure dropped to zero and it sounds like the engine is still running! :shocked: :shocked: hopefully not damaged anything there. :facepalm: :annoyed: :shocked:
So I took another look at this earlier (before my day in the office was totally derailed by actual work) and I'm pretty sure your engine stalled at the same time as you lost oil pressure. I don't think you've got anything to be concerned about at all. :th:

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

TonyleFrog wrote:
jimGTS wrote:glad weather held out for us, the early morning sessions on youtube from other owners sure is damp.
Like this one? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSu23Beqq4

Losing traction at Becketts many times plus several other twitchy moments! :blink:

Shockingly poor use of mirrors/track etiquette by the Audi @ 5:34 :facepalm:

If you lack enough grunt to pass the Fezza before Copse, get out of the f*****g way! :ranting1:

The weather wasn't too brilliant when we left either. We definitely had the best of it.
Me and Reece were watching when this happened. Was in the morning before you guys got there.
Was very very sideways [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinny

Post by shinny »

The track etiquette thing is interesting. During the first session someone who I won't name (cos that's unimportant) did exactly that to me as the Audi did to the BMW; pit straight, not overtaking the car infront, not moving over enough to let me safely past. And you know, I couldn't care less... it's about having fun, and a few extra seconds behind a car isn't going to change that. I must have been looking in my mirrors but I wasn't making a massive point of it so those in glass houses and all that!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

If you're going to post a 'point the finger' comment about another member why don't you have the courage to say who it was? If their identity is unimportant and you couldn't care less about the incident why even bother to bring it up?

It seems to me that your 'glass houses' remark implies it was me that impeded you. If I did then you have my unreserved apology. If not, then I would be grateful if you would be good enough to say so unequivocally.

It is a great shame though that your footage of that session went AWOL otherwise you could have posted it for all to see and the OC jury could have rendered its verdict. To be absolutely clear about this, I am adult enough to take any deserved flak which might come my way.

I don't get the bit about 'looking in my mirrors'. How is that relevant to something which you say was taking place in front of you?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

TonyleFrog wrote:If you're going to post a 'point the finger' comment about another member why don't you have the courage to say who it was? If their identity is unimportant and you couldn't care less about the incident why even bother to bring it up?

It seems to me that your 'glass houses' remark implies it was me that impeded you. If I did then you have my unreserved apology. If not, then I would be grateful if you would be good enough to say so unequivocally.

It is a great shame though that your footage of that session went AWOL otherwise you could have posted it for all to see and the OC jury could have rendered its verdict. To be absolutely clear about this, I am adult enough to take any deserved flak which might come my way.

I don't get the bit about 'looking in my mirrors'. How is that relevant to something which you say was taking place in front of you?
Chill dude, I was also impeded a couple of times, it doesn't matter, it's not a race. FWIW I thought you knew exactly what was coming up behind and acted perfectly !

Topic author
Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

jimGTS wrote:holy shizzz, that moment around 8mins!
Glad that didn't happen to any of us! That is the most common place to smash on the National Curcuit, apparently a guy put his MCLaren MP4-12c in the wall there the week before we went a couple of years ago and thought his road insurance covered him.... :facepalm:

I think overall everyone was very respectful and generally got out of the way of the faster cars, I certainly found this to be the case for me. I must admit my competitive nature kicked in for half a lap when Jim was bearing down on me and I tried to just go faster but compromised all my lines and told myself to stop be so childish and let the man past, I just pulled in going round Woodcote. Funnily enough I had more fun and got more consistent after that!

Personally If I was in the way of anyone then like TLF I'd appreciate knowing as its then something to be more aware of for next time imo... I'd like to think everyone is grown up enough to receive some constructive criticism.

Anyway I've now hopefully sorted both of my videos! :D Links below, first session complete with Instructor commentary and then my second session giving a passenger ride.

Session One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7npXuS6EwE

Session Two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQavU3ZEwg

I definitely need to work on my editing skills and get them more up to scratch. Anyone with a Go Pro using software other than Go Pro's own?
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

shinny

Post by shinny »

Woah there Tony! I dunno where that came from, but you're waaaaay wide of my intent. My point was "I got impeded once, but there's no need to push past dangerously like the BMW did". In fact, I'd suggest the fact it only happened once shows the quality of the driving out there. The glass houses comment was saying on another day it could very easily have been me doing the impeding... once moment on the 'ring particularly stands out in my mine, where I failed to spot a black Merc SLS in my mirrors and pretty much turned in on them when I thought all the other traffic had passed.

vinp182
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

There was a couple of times I got a bit held up too but mainly when there was a couple of cars in front of me and we all wanted the same line.. No biggy IMO.. I'm sure I may have gotten in other people way too in the same kind of scenario

Usually on a track day it's the job of the quicker car to decide if it's safe or not to over take, not for the slower car to compromise their own safety just to get out of the way :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

jimGTS
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

Whoever it was will now have no recollection of the incident to adjust there mirror checks.
So kind of dead in the water really.
But like mark is saying, it's no big deal. This was a club day, had it been an open session with randoms then I'm sure it may have been a little more annoying.

video evidence definitely would have helped, ha.

Few moments on my videos where I was approaching silly fast, but you just have to be mindful people are also watching there braking points and don't want to be heading into fast bends on the wrong side of the track which could potentially understeer them into someone who wants to overtake after the corner.

At one point on the pit straight I was flying up to Lee when he was in his low/no boost setting, and he did well to see me approaching at 120+ when he must of only been doing 80/90 if that on one of his laps, still saw me and pulled over. I must of been out of view and in view so quickly he did well (or instructor did well) to spot me.

Personally, I started my video post with 'be kind', insinuating hoping for some constructive criticisim. Lol.

It's clear from woodys video I was braking very early in places and he was able to catch up with later braking. Corner speed in and around the same, but I had the legs on the straight, just.
Last edited by jimGTS on 09/03/16 9:54, edited 1 time in total.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

vinp182 wrote: Usually on a track day it's the job of the quicker car to decide if it's safe or not to over take, not for the slower car to compromise their own safety just to get out of the way :th:
^^ This. It is entirely the responsibility of the faster car to pass safely. It's great when drivers watch their mirrors and get to the right when someone steams up behind, but there is no pressure for the passee to 'get out of the way'. Normal mirror discipline is expected :)

shinny

Post by shinny »

Urgh... my only point was "There's no need to be a d*** about slower cars, Mr BMW". I'm sorry I said anything now :blink:

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

I probably held up a couple of you at some point... It's difficult not to when you're 100bhp+ down as you appear in the mirror rather quickly!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

Another spin clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6i7G_lxlj8

I had been getting on the power earlier and earlier in this corner (having bugger all torque lets you do this :blush: ) - this was too much throttle too early. I would say lesson learnt, but I did near on the same thing in session 1 as well :laughing
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ha, great to see and even better, no harm done. :th:
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2OC Event pictures and videos”