Unusual engine choice

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

BahnStormer
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Unusual engine choice

Post by BahnStormer »

I want ot see if anybody has ever tried a VAG group 2.5TFSI engine - the new one that is spitting out ~400bhp in stock tune in the TTRS!

Sable'07:factory AC + heated seats, Pioneer TS-E171ci + MVH-390BT, Mohair hood, Yoko AD08R's.
Next:Supporting mods: Coilovers (MeisterR?) and polybush, 5x braces and braided lines.
Researching: Engine options

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

400PS/400Nm = 394.5bhp/295lbs/ft. Certainly an awesome bit of kit.
It has won International Engine of the Year in the 2.0 to 2.5 litre category for 8 years straight.
No idea of the dimensions though so would it fit in the available space in a MR2?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by pbmr2 »

Yeah should fit, it's a compact design. gearbox is the tricky part but anything is possible.
got deep enough pockets for one of these engines then the cost of making it fit won't be an issue.
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

ads2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by ads2 »

I suspected was an Audi RS3 blasted by me over the welsh mountains. I say suspected because it was night time and it was pulling away so fast I could barely make it out - it sounded like an absolute animal, really vicious exhaust note.

BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I had a Volvo 1.9 turbo for a while whilst staying in Liverpool.

I used to use it for travelling to work and back at night when I was working doors down there.

I was seriously impressed with it, real sleeper and could pull like a train.
Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

BahnStormer
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by BahnStormer »

ads2 wrote: 12/09/17 22:18 I suspected was an Audi RS3 blasted by me over the welsh mountains. I say suspected because it was night time and it was pulling away so fast I could barely make it out - it sounded like an absolute animal, really vicious exhaust note.
I know - I'm too young to have heard Audi Quattro's in their heyday, but I can start to understand why people were so mesmerised by them. That TFSI V5 is always compared to the Quattro engines and they sound snarly and unstable (in a fun kinda way) at idle... and then ridiculous at full chat!
pbmr2 wrote: 11/09/17 13:41 Yeah should fit, it's a compact design. gearbox is the tricky part but anything is possible.
got deep enough pockets for one of these engines then the cost of making it fit won't be an issue.
~£5k for the engine? I'm sure I could find the cash for that, if I thought it was possible!!

My concern is that I'd hit a serious skills + storage issue (very limited proper skills and no garage)... so I am guessing that this would need a good chunk of extra cash to get somebody else to do the work...

edit: awwwww.... crud.... £5k was "no turbo, no gearbox".... seemed to have a LOT of other parts listed with it though....
Sable'07:factory AC + heated seats, Pioneer TS-E171ci + MVH-390BT, Mohair hood, Yoko AD08R's.
Next:Supporting mods: Coilovers (MeisterR?) and polybush, 5x braces and braided lines.
Researching: Engine options

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”