Fitting an oil gauge sender to a 2GR-FE

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Lemuts

Fitting an oil gauge sender to a 2GR-FE

Post by Lemuts »

Hi,

I've got a MR2 fitted with a 2GR-FE and I would like to fit a (VDO) pressure transducer operated oil gauge in addition the the standard warning light.
Can anyone tell me where on the block I can locate a suitable pick-up point and if a 'blanking plate' removal/modification is needed, what thread size its likely to be?

Any input would be appreciated as we are all very new to working on this engine and are only just finding our way around.

Cheers guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Fitting an oil gauge sender to a 2GR-FE

Post by gavsdavs »

What's going on in your boot ? Did you cut the floor out ?

People who handle 2grs regularly - Patrick Chambers, Paul Woods (woodsport), Chris Wood (Bodgesport). Might be better asking this question on 2 brutal. Also a fairly active and helpful FB group with US guys in it.

Topic author
Lemuts

Post by Lemuts »

Thanks for the pointers funny enough the floor removal was Paul Woods handy work to get the exhaust to flow and look right. Please see the picture for an idea of the state of play. Cheers Lemut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Ok - removing the boot floor sounds a bit unfortunate, I would have thought it would be easier to source a custom silencer.

looks like a 355rep ?

Are you planning it ? Why the need for a custom oil pressure gauge ?

Topic author
Lemuts

Post by Lemuts »

Right area but ..... :D

Topic author
Lemuts

Post by Lemuts »

Left-hand gauge of the centre group as per the original.

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

You never explained why you want the oil pressure gauge. Is it for authenticity of the replica ?

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

gavsdavs wrote: 11/06/18 23:17 You never explained why you want the oil pressure gauge. Is it for authenticity of the replica ?
I'm a huge fan of oil pressure gauges... mine saved my engine 5 times in a year once!

Admittedly it was due to shoddy mods (one done by JD Modified, one bought secondhand from IMOC - both now removed) but it's now very high up my list for modified engines.

Topic author
Lemuts

Post by Lemuts »

Fully agree with shinny that an OG is an essential bit of kit if you are pushing an engine. For this reason and authenticity are my reasons. I've got about 325bhpmunder the right foot at the moment and having a death wish, hope to have a bit more soon. Have fun you are not here long......... Cheers guys

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Lemuts wrote: 12/06/18 19:23 Fully agree with shinny that an OG is an essential bit of kit if you are pushing an engine. For this reason and authenticity are my reasons. I've got about 325bhpmunder the right foot at the moment and having a death wish, hope to have a bit more soon. Have fun you are not here long......... Cheers guys
Mine gets caned rotten given a chance. It tends to drink a bit of fuel on a power track and could do with an oil cooler (i.e places like Bedford), but they really are super reliable. It's a people carrier engine, not a highly strung turbo. In normal, n/a and toyota ECU form it really is in it's mildest state of tune. You might also want to look at torque pro for obd data readouts.

Topic author
Lemuts

Post by Lemuts »

Mmmmm good idea about the oil cooler and thanks for the heads up regarding torque pro.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

gavsdavs wrote: 13/06/18 23:02
Lemuts wrote: 12/06/18 19:23 Fully agree with shinny that an OG is an essential bit of kit if you are pushing an engine. For this reason and authenticity are my reasons. I've got about 325bhpmunder the right foot at the moment and having a death wish, hope to have a bit more soon. Have fun you are not here long......... Cheers guys
Mine gets caned rotten given a chance. It tends to drink a bit of fuel on a power track and could do with an oil cooler (i.e places like Bedford), but they really are super reliable. It's a people carrier engine, not a highly strung turbo. In normal, n/a and toyota ECU form it really is in it's mildest state of tune. You might also want to look at torque pro for obd data readouts.
For an unmodified engine, I agree that an oil pressure gauge is a little bit of overkill. However the moment you open up the oil system for a cooler, I'd absolutely have one in there, at least to get the earliest possible warning of a problem. And better to have it fitted before modifying so you know how your engine behaves prior to mods.

The c*** oil cooler I bought off IMOC popped hoses 3 times, resulting in a rapid loss of oil pressure. All three times, the beep on my Defi Oil Pressure gauge meant I stopped the engine before the dash light did much more than flicker. I've now replaced the cooler setup and it's reliable - but having opened the stock oil system, I'd so, so glad I had a gauge.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

shinny wrote: 15/06/18 10:15 For an unmodified engine, I agree that an oil pressure gauge is a little bit of overkill.
Not at all, oil pressure gauges used to be pretty standard on sports cars, both my MG's, my X1-9 had one as standard, IIRC the Silvia turbo had one and of course the MK1 has one :p
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

shinny wrote: 15/06/18 10:15 For an unmodified engine, I agree that an oil pressure gauge is a little bit of overkill. However the moment you open up the oil system for a cooler, I'd absolutely have one in there, at least to get the earliest possible warning of a problem. And better to have it fitted before modifying so you know how your engine behaves prior to mods.

The c*** oil cooler I bought off IMOC popped hoses 3 times, resulting in a rapid loss of oil pressure. All three times, the beep on my Defi Oil Pressure gauge meant I stopped the engine before the dash light did much more than flicker. I've now replaced the cooler setup and it's reliable - but having opened the stock oil system, I'd so, so glad I had a gauge.
I've never had a car with an oil pressure gauge. What's it read in, PSI or Bar ? What's a normal value ? Does pressure vary with engine load/RPM ? I'm all for knowing what's going on - it just wouldn't be my first choice of monitoring as I've never suffered an oil pressure related issue.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”