My Brothers MR2

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
ben_tucka

My Brothers MR2

Post by ben_tucka »

Hi all I've joined up here as My Brother Has a mk3 MR2 which failed its MOT badly, Hes pretty much now written the car off even though mechanically the engine is sound (apart from the usual oil use which i hear is normal) and hes just had a new roof stuck on it.

What I want to know is it worth me stopping him breaking it for parts and fixing it myself, problems include
  • Rear sub Frame rotten and quoted 1k to repair
  • Brakes All round need attention (hopefully just cleaning new seals and new rotors)
  • Power steering Issue
I'm really tempted to make him an offer on it as I've always loved his little MR2 its gorgeous and a real drivers car.
Are these problems a definite write of the car, or can someone with car mending skills (myself) do these on a driveway.
Or Do i bite the bullet and buy another and let this one go to the parts graveyard?

Thanks
Ben.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: My Brothers MR2

Post by peteV6R5 »

all doable, rear subframe is a known issue
Talk to Dick Sloane - breaks Mk3s and has got subframes I am sure.
Brakes - simple enough to clean up and get sorted
Power steering - that can issue that could be real easy or expensive depending on what the problem is.

Tals to Dick 1st and see what the costs are for what you need then it gives you something to go on if its worth buying of your brother.
https://www.facebook.com/Mr2RoadsterRecycling/
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

A grand for a subframe?! :shocked:
I think I’ve got a good subframe you can have for £900 :laughing
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
ben_tucka

Post by ben_tucka »

peteV6R5 wrote: 13/06/18 12:26 all doable, rear subframe is a known issue
Talk to Dick Sloane - breaks Mk3s and has got subframes I am sure.
Brakes - simple enough to clean up and get sorted
Power steering - that can issue that could be real easy or expensive depending on what the problem is.

Tals to Dick 1st and see what the costs are for what you need then it gives you something to go on if its worth buying of your brother.
https://www.facebook.com/Mr2RoadsterRecycling/
cheers, i will look into that see what I think suppose its gunna be down to how cheap he will sell it me as I know he just had the roof redone which cost a few bob.

Topic author
ben_tucka

Post by ben_tucka »

vinp182 wrote: 13/06/18 15:22 A grand for a subframe?! :shocked:
I think I’ve got a good subframe you can have for £900 :laughing
ha ha think that was for the brakes doing aswel as It seems most garages quote for new calipers now adays or they have me anyways that why i always do my own brakes. normally a seal kit and clean sorts them out.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”