Correct oil for a revision 3 turbo?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Correct oil for a revision 3 turbo?

Post by abovetherim »

FYI Millers do oil testing, check out their website

1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Many thanks.
Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Every car I have purchased pretty much received an immediate oil change.

Even the Subaru from the dealer that had already had a change got driven for about 500km and the oil in it was used for a "Flush" and then it was changed to Castrol Edge.

Believe it or not the old oil gets reused in the really old Subaru that leaks oil anyway and its just used to continually top it up.

A full synthetic thats been run for 10,000km is perfectly good to put into something thats pretty much stuffed anyway.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 09/08/18 20:12 I’m not interested in what brand it is, just what type of oil it is that’s been put in.
Define 'type'.

What exactly are you trying to discover? You refer in an earlier post to 'some cheap crap'. Before spending your hard earned, you should talk to the testing company/lab. Because you need to find out whether their report will provide the specific answer/s you are looking for.

Btw, which Millers 5W-40 were you charged for?
Like ice cream there is more than one flavour...
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?w= ... %205w%2040
Check the Tech Spec links.

Millers Oil Analysis - - http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by notroubleclubber »

3 pages of “what type of oil”?!?!

Christ its an mr2 not a ferrari!!!

10w 40 fully or part... job done. 5w 40 if you cant get hold of it. Been using this in all my cars since i passed my test in 1997. Never had a problem

Job done

rainen

Post by rainen »

Yes but he is trying to prove that Peter Giddens put the wrong oil in and charged him for the expensive one................all part of the fun and games running on IMOC now between the two.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

rainen wrote: 10/08/18 9:14 Yes but he is trying to prove that Peter Giddens put the wrong oil in and charged him for the expensive one................all part of the fun and games running on IMOC now between the two.
Let’s be fair here, I don’t know if Peter put the oil he claims to have put in in my car. He May well have put in the exact oil that’s on the invoice.

But I have good reason to be more than a little suspicious and I’d like to know that’s all.

So let’s not try to make this look like I am saying for sure that Peter knowingly put in different oil than what’s been claimed.
Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

There is a reason my MR2 Turbo has never been in a garage for someone else to work on for 20 years.

Pretty simple really, change your own oil. That way you KNOW whats going into it.

You cannot trust your typical mechanic as far as you can kick one.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 10/08/18 9:49
rainen wrote: 10/08/18 9:14 Yes but he is trying to prove that Peter Giddens put the wrong oil in and charged him for the expensive one................all part of the fun and games running on IMOC now between the two.
Let’s be fair here, I don’t know if Peter put the oil he claims to have put in in my car. He May well have put in the exact oil that’s on the invoice.

But I have good reason to be more than a little suspicious and I’d like to know that’s all.

So let’s not try to make this look like I am saying for sure that Peter knowingly put in different oil than what’s been claimed.
I thought you were just chalking it up to experience and 'moving on'?

If that's the case why waste money on oil analysis? It'll cost about what 5L of decent oil + filter will cost you anyway.

Just change it if you're unsure and crack on.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

To answer a few questions, the car wouldn't make more than 13 psi boost as c it had a fuel starvation problem due to a cheap eBay copy 255 LPH fuel pump being fitted. Not the TRE 255 LPH I paid for, this has been confirmed by an independent garage and TRE themselves.

The fuel filter was still the original N/A original item not the Turbo item I had been charged for to be supplied and fitted, same as the fuel pump.

The tracking that was supposedly done "properly" as the guy I usually use had made a "complete mess of it" couldn't have been any further out every possible way.

The many other bodges, wiring that was a fire risk, 6 missing bolts from the bottom of the gearbox housing, unsecured coolant pipes, finger tight nuts and bolts all over the car and work not done etc gives me more than a little reason to doubt that millers 5W 40 fully synthetic that I was charged for was actually used. I mean, why bother putting in decent oil considering everything else?

I am getting the oil checked to see what was put in the car for my own interest.

What's done is done and all that but I am entitled to know exactly what I have and haven't been charged for, period.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 28/08/18 22:15 The fuel filter was still the original N/A original item not the Turbo item I had been charged for to be supplied and fitted, same as the fuel pump.
Fuel filters are the same regardless of engine, FYI.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Ouch.

Stuck with a Nippon Denso origional fuel pump here. Typically if you want more fuel people fit the Supra pump. Flow rates go through the roof if you upgrade the wiring to the pump or boost the Voltage.

Like I said above, you end up having to do your own work if you want it done properly.

That said I spent a whole day yesterday just changing the shifter bushes on the Subaru. Its a known issue the bushes perish in the universal joint from shifter to the gearbox.
No idea how the dealers do it but I had to either hacksaw an 8mm bolt off or drill a hole in the side of the footwell and pull it out into the cabin ! Had to modify the head on a machine screw to get it back in past the strengthening alloy web on the trans from the other direction.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Gazza_DJ wrote: 28/08/18 22:49
BALDYMONSTER wrote: 28/08/18 22:15 The fuel filter was still the original N/A original item not the Turbo item I had been charged for to be supplied and fitted, same as the fuel pump.
Fuel filters are the same regardless of engine, FYI.

Not according to Toyota and the filter that's been fitted now looks different.

Regardless the fuel filter that was on the car when I collected it was exactly the same as the one that was on the car when I originally bought it.

Plus, there was not a mark on the filter, nut, bolt at all that it had even been touched. It was the same fuel filter that was on the car from day one, it had never been changed.

I have the independent garage invoice backing this up amongst many other things.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 28/08/18 22:58 Not according to Toyota and the filter that's been fitted now looks different.

Regardless the fuel filter that was on the car when I collected it was exactly the same as the one that was on the car when I originally bought it.

Plus, there was not a mark on the filter, nut, bolt at all that it had even been touched. It was the same fuel filter that was on the car from day one, it had never been changed.

I have the independent garage invoice backing this up amongst many other things.
PNs are exactly the same for Japan market:

Euro market PN is different, but the function is the same. Europe PN is in fact the same as US Turbo and NA.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”