engine stalls after 4 seconds

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Re: engine stalls after 4 seconds

Post by PaulWoods »

You're welcome, glad to have diagnosed it and got you going.

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Running on all 4 now. Had to replace the clutch master cylinder and now waiting for new radiator to be delivered, but soon it should be moving again under it's own power.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

:th: Excellent, keep us up to date with your progress.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Had to replace radiator but then over heated even on tick over after a couple of minutes.
Corroded and blocked thermostat the cause.
Removed thermostat and tried to run again ok on tick over but will not rev (thinking fuel pressure regulator as if it tries to rev but then dies but will start again straight away).

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

My initial guess would be weak fuel pump not regulator, never had a regulator fail in 20 years on a Mk1 Mr2, but that's just a guess, you need to measure the fuel pressure between the filter and fuel rail with pressure test equipment, that will also test your regulator. If it has low pressure clamp off the regulator return line and note if the pressure rises to normal, that will diagnose reg or pump.

Also if you haven't done so already change the fuel filter.

Another possible is a silted up fuel tank, i've had them so bad after sitting for years that the pickup filter on the pump is almost blocked solid, so it will idle but not rev up.

Fuel pressure test will help you confirm/deny all of the above.

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

I completely drained the fuel tank by wiring the pump directly to a battery and putting the connector that goes to the spray bar into a fuel can. The pressure was so good that petrol was splashing back out the top of the can as it was filling, so i think the from the pump is ok.
No car would not use the amount of fuel pumped out in the time it took.
Also noted that the new spark plugs have a lot of black carbon build up on them, more than i would expect fir new plugs on a car that has not run for long.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

Ok, but you're confusing flow with pressure, i've seen worn pumps still working and flowing like crazy off the car, but as soon as you restrict one end by fitting it to a fuel rail the pressure doesn't build and the pump stops..... all i'm saying is don't discount the fuel pump, it's probably working fine but i advise checking the pressure so you know 100% it is correct.

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Just ordered an inline fuel pressure gauge. What pressure should I be looking for?

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

You should be seeing 35-38psi.

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

I'm getting just over 60 psi. The pressure is constant until the engine dies again then it drops to 0. After taking off the pressure gauge I replaced it with an inline filter which stays full all the time.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

That pressure is too high, i would replace the regulator and check pressure again, it should be 35-38psi, but the high pressure is not related to your non revving problem.

Is the MAP sensor vacuum line connected ok and the metal pipe it connects to not cracked or damaged? They sometimes crack at the manifold.

Also make sure there are no air leaks anywhere on the intake plenum.

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Checked the pipes from the map sensor by blowing taking off and blowing down the putting finger over end. All ok
Started the car again it ran better and for longer but was hunting between 1800 rpm and 2400 rpm. If i slowly increased the rev it would go higher. Replaced the thermostat then noticed that the pipe ftom the map sensor to the black connector by the starter injector eaws not connected. Put the pipe on and it ran very badly and would not rev at all.
Took it off and it ran better and a lot longer. Checked the water level and could see tell tale mayo on the rad cap and the oil filler cap so joy oh joy the head gasket has probably gone.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

Sorry to hear that, if the pipe going to the MAP sensor is not connected it will never run properly, but there are clearly more issues going on, i think i've done all i can via the internet to help to be honest, it's probably time to tear it all apart and start from the ground up.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”