Popping in a camry v6

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Popping in a camry v6

Post by peteV6R5 »

APDevelopments wrote: 06/10/18 23:04 Ok guys let’s bring this topic back in track.

I think I’ve finally found a mr2 V6 donor all ready to go.

So! The donor is a L reg NA fitted with a Camry V6. It has a woodsport modified gearbox with the long 5th gear fitted.
It even has working air conditioning fitted which my lambo kit car does not have yet.

I have spoken to Paul at woodsport about this project and he’s quite confident about it.

I plan to swap everything from the donor. Engine, gearbox, subframe, driveshafts. Everything to include the aircon.

My question is. Will the subframe and all the extra suspension parts be simple to swap from the L reg NA on to my rev 1 turbo chassis?
simple answer is yes (if all bolts and nuts come off easy)

Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yep, all fits fine.

Whether the Rev2+ rear setup is an improvement in all aspects is another discussion. While it is 'safer' when pushing on, it's not uncommon for people who race MR2's to fit the Rev1 rear setup as its faster.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Well it’s finally happened.
My V6 converted mr2 has arrived. Waaaawhoo. :th:
She’s cost me more than most would normally pay for one but I think she’s worth it.
I can’t drive her yet as I’m awaiting a private’s plate to come off and I can’t tax her yet. So my V6 experiences are limited. :crybaby:
So far from what I can tell she’s been very well looked after by it’s previous owners.
She’s a GT limited. What ever that means? Many one of you will enlighten me.
The V6 side of things are fantastic. It looks brand new from top to bottom.
Who ever carried out the conversion did a fantastic job and didn’t cut any corners. Paul Woods has confirmed it’s not one of his tho.
I would love to know who did it.
Now I’m in a pickle. As you probably know I also own a mr2 Lamborghini and a MR2 Ferrari 355.
My original idea was to use this engine in the Lamborghini but I’m having serious second thoughts. The car is just to good and doesn’t deserve to be butchered. Maybe I might spend a few bob on it with a few upgrades and leave her alone as a very nice V6 mr2.
I havent decided yet but I will let you all know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by APDevelopments on 17/10/18 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Engine photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Interior photo

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If it's got no serious rust, don't break it for the engine.

Use it as a guide / template for your V6 conversion!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MR2Jay
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Gazza_DJ wrote: 17/10/18 21:11 If it's got no serious rust, don't break it for the engine.

Use it as a guide / template for your V6 conversion!
+1 :th:

Too many good examples being broken. If she is as good as you say it is, use it and learn from it :th:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

rainen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by rainen »

That looks like my conversion. Who did you buy it off??

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Here’s a couple of extra photos.
The reg of my V6 Mr2 is L908NBV.
I brought it off a guy named Paul in Tamworth.
Would be great to learn who did the conversion because it’s a fantastic job.

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Another one

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

APDevelopments wrote: 17/10/18 20:53 She’s a GT limited. What ever that means? Many one of you will enlighten me.
If you mean G-Limited that's the JDM grey import version of the n/a, rather than a UK car.

The pic you posted suggests yours has a UK front plate.
Of itself that proves nothing though.
My red Rev 4 has one and it's defintely a G-Limited.

pic c/o Gazza_DJ
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

rainen

Post by rainen »

Yes that's my conversion. Agreed its much too good a car to break up and I can vouch for that having built it. Bought the car in January 2104 and spent 15 months doing the conversion putting it on the road in March 2015. Sold it to Paul. The engine came from Woodsport and it had only done £71K. If you want to know anything about the conversion please feel free to ask. Paul should have given you the receipts for relevant parts that I gave him on sale.

It is a JDM grey import. The UK front plate was on it when I bought it so would have been added by someone else.

Nigel

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Hi Nigel.
This is fantastic information. Please tell me more.
So if it is a woodsport engine then that would explain the woodsport high 5th gear.
I sent a few photos to woodsport but he confirmed that it wasn’t one of his.
The car is in fantastic condition underneath being all undersealed but the engine bay is even better.
Did you have the gearbox and engine parts all powder coated? It looks brand new.
So I don’t need to worry about the head gaskets and timing belt then?
When you look under the rear it has a wrapped exhaust part? Is this the catalyst? Photo below. It’s very quite and smooth when driving.
There’s a few receipts with the car but not a lot.
What made me buy it is that the air conditioning is all working. Most of the converted V6 mr2’s haven’t bothered with it.
I did pay quite abit more for it than most that come up for sale but it is a very nice one and it’s worth the extra with the workmanship of this conversion.

rainen

Post by rainen »

Yes I sent the gearbox to Paul to have the 5th gear modification. The underside was done with underseal and then coated in waxoil. The gearbox and engine I fully degreased. The gearbox has just been sprayed with engine paint rattle cans. The engine silver was hand painted. The rocker covers were sprayed again with engine paint rattle cans. I changed the timing belt. Given the low mileage Paul recommended the heads should be left on so that’s what I followed. The wrap is round the Toyota exhaust cat and replaces the crap silver box that is normally half hanging off. Seems to give very good results on the MOT for emissions. I had the air conditioning pipes specially made to connect the original system to the Camry compressor on the engine. Glad you like the car and was a great car to drive for me. I just wanted to move onto do a VVTi conversion on a Rev 5 which is why I sold it. So I now have a black Rev 5 with the Lexus RX300 engine which I did last year.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”