replacement sills

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Jaseb1987

replacement sills

Post by Jaseb1987 »

Do You guys have any recommendations for replacing mk2 sills...?

Any idea on a rough price on how much it would cost to do this.

Is it worth replacing the whole sill or just repairing the small holes that has been found..?

I've spent a lot of money getting the car in the first place and mrs is now going mental :P

Wanna spend as minimum as possible but wanna do it right if you know what i mean.

Many thanks in advance

Jase

PS im in the south west region.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: replacement sills

Post by SonicSW20 »

They tend to rust from the inside out, so while you may only have a small hole on the outside, you could have worse inside. As such, you can't really tell til you cut them off!

pricing will vary anywhere from ~£150 a side for a simple rear outer replacement to £300+ a side for outer replacement + additional work on the inner bits. Could run more than that if it turns out the problems run up the inside of the arch, or up past the side vent.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Jaseb1987

Post by Jaseb1987 »

Ah ok so basically I could be "censored" for the minute then. Feel like I could cry. Only had the car a week. Paid 7k and literally have no money to spend on her now for at least 6 months.

supercookie

Post by supercookie »

Jesz...£7000 ! How was the car described ? Low mileage ? Described as mint ?

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Jaseb1987 wrote: 24/10/18 18:26 Ah ok so basically I could be "censored" for the minute then. Feel like I could cry. Only had the car a week. Paid 7k and literally have no money to spend on her now for at least 6 months.
It could just be the hole though.

You can *just* about see inside the cavity if you remove the plastic trim panels that cover the seat belts. You can then get a camera in there and take a photo of the cavity. First you may need to remove the sponge that's in there.

The sponge looks like this:

if you pull it out and it looks like this:

You may be looking at the more expensive end of the spectrum.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Jaseb1987

Post by Jaseb1987 »

This car has been in the group a very long time. I would of hoped that sponge would of already been removed. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Topic author
Jaseb1987

Post by Jaseb1987 »

supercookie wrote: 24/10/18 19:34 Jesz...£7000 ! How was the car described ? Low mileage ? Described as mint ?
7000k because it's been well looked after and has more mods than I could of hoped for. No problem paying that much because I fell in love with the car as soon as I seen it. These rust holes are like the size of a 2pound coin up behind the skirt. Only reason my mot guy saw it was using a mirror and torch.

I've seen worst ones go for more than 7k and with less mods.

I'm very happy with the car I just wanna know what's best to sort this issue out.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

A £2 coin sized hole? Is that it? On my recently purchased mk2 turbo I put my hand through both of the rear arches whilst viewing it. But I did pay buttons for it compared to you
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

angpozzuto wrote: 24/10/18 21:02 A £2 coin sized hole? Is that it? On my recently purchased mk2 turbo I put my hand through both of the rear arches whilst viewing it. But I did pay buttons for it compared to you
Problem with the SW20 is a small hole like that can be all that is visible. I don't want to scare the OP too much, but externally all that was visible for this was a small patch of rust no bigger than a coin and a few bits that were bubbling:

As you can see, it didn't look that bad from the outside, this photo was about a month before:

Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Jaseb1987

Post by Jaseb1987 »

So what do you guys think I should do? I honestly don't have the money right now. In a year or 2 I'll be looking at just replacing both sills because I'll be able to afford it then.

Just don't want what's there already getting worst.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If it passed an MOT, get a liberal amount of rust neutraliser / sealer stuff in the cavity, that should slow it down significantly.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

Jaseb1987 wrote: 24/10/18 21:34 So what do you guys think I should do? I honestly don't have the money right now. In a year or 2 I'll be looking at just replacing both sills because I'll be able to afford it then.

I'd say check to see if the sponges have been removed and have a look at the inner sill from inside the car and then you'd have an idea of how urgent the repairs are
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Topic author
Jaseb1987

Post by Jaseb1987 »

angpozzuto wrote: 24/10/18 21:54
Jaseb1987 wrote: 24/10/18 21:34 So what do you guys think I should do? I honestly don't have the money right now. In a year or 2 I'll be looking at just replacing both sills because I'll be able to afford it then.

I'd say check to see if the sponges have been removed and have a look at the inner sill from inside the car and then you'd have an idea of how urgent the repairs are
I'll check when i am home, does the plastic just pop off or do i have to remove stuff...?

I will take some photos.

many thanks

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yep it's easy to remove. Pull up the sill trim. Open the "cubby" box lid, you'll see a couple of plastic push pins securing it to a bracket:

The rest of it is just held in with pop in / pop out clips/pins, so you just carefully pull it off. Interior removal tools will make this easier.

The driver side, you will need a small screwdriver to remove the single screw that holds the engine lid release trim in.

You may also need a socket set to unbolt the seatbelt for better access to the cavity.

Been a while since I've been in there, but I think that covers it!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”