Anyone running or have experience of Uniroyal Rainsports?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Anyone running or have experience of Uniroyal Rainsports?

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I'm going to change my tyres in the next few weeks. I've heard good things about iniroyal rainsports and given how tail happy the MR2 is in the wet I'm quite happy to sacrifice some ultimate dry performance for tyres that are excellent in the wet.

So does anybody have some experience of these?

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Re: Anyone running or have experience of Uniroyal Rainsports?

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Yes but not on my 2 yet, they stick like sh t to a blanket on my Sons Clio Cup . And I will be fitting them on the back of my 2 in the near future.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 31/10/18 19:39 Yes but not on my 2 yet, they stick like sh t to a blanket on my Sons Clio Cup . And I will be fitting them on the back of my 2 in the near future.

When you say they stick like the proverbial is that in the wet as well as the dry?

I've always hated driving in the wet, I think it comes from years of getting caught in the rain on motorbikes.

The MR2 is very lively "censored" wise in the wet so I'm really looking for the best possible wet tyres.

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

In the wet and dry but apparantly not great for track ! I dont do track and will soon have a V6 behind me so need better grip than the t1r's .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 31/10/18 19:49 In the wet and dry but apparantly not great for track ! I dont do track and will soon have a V6 behind me so need better grip than the t1r's .

They sound perfect then.

Especially as I have a fair bit of power going to the tears now.

Thanks for the input guys.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

I've been using Yokohama ad08r on my supercharged v6 mk1, it's a weekend toy but I've got no issues with taking her out for a run in the wet and never had a problem with lack of grip
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

ricky2
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by ricky2 »

I have two on the front of my two not the back yet I can't seem to get the right size.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

heard good reviews on rainsports
have a look at Hankook EVO2s (even the newer EVO3s) or goodyear eagle asymmetric 2/3s.
got hankooks on the V6 just been great. got the goodyears on my other cars and just as good
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

I've ran Rainsport 2s on an MR2 many years agoe and they were a perfectly competent, premium road going tyre. They did not provide magic levels of grip, but they do perform well in the wet, unlike cheap rubber.
MRHAPPY62 wrote: 31/10/18 19:39 Yes but not on my 2 yet, they stick like sh t to a blanket on my Sons Clio Cup
I'm guessing you've never run a car on actual sticky, trackday rubber, like R888s or AD08Rs? I'd save superlatives like that for that those kinds of tyre because they make normal car tyres feel like they're covered in grease by comparison ;)

nick

Post by nick »

I am interested in these, what size are people using?

They may not make a track day car, but are fine for sprints and hillclimbs.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Rainsport 3's are great for the money. A high end Pirelli / Continental / Bridgestone or similar will outperform it in both wet and dry conditions if you're willing to pay the money for them.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

shinny wrote: 01/11/18 0:15 I've ran Rainsport 2s on an MR2 many years agoe and they were a perfectly competent, premium road going

I'm guessing you've never run a car on actual sticky, trackday rubber, like R888s or AD08Rs? I'd save superlatives like that for that those kinds of tyre because they make normal car tyres feel like they're covered in grease by comparison ;)
I have run super sticky Toyos and Yokos on a few previous cars, my EVO and Scooby which were both running serious big power and yes the grip was nothing short of mind blowing.

I'm just so cautious in the wet in the MR2, probably over cautious now actually.

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 01/11/18 13:24 I have run super sticky Toyos and Yokos on a few previous cars, my EVO and Scooby which were both running serious big power and yes the grip was nothing short of mind blowing.

I'm just so cautious in the wet in the MR2, probably over cautious now actually.
Agreed. I only run sticky rubber on my dry weather MR2. Anything I'm likely to run in the wet gets the best wet-weather tyre I can find. For my NA, that was Continental SportContact 5s last time.

I choose between option by group tests rather than internet opinion, though. When you ask the internet, you generally get "I run X and I have no problems", which doesn't tell you much about whether X is better than Y. Also, the rate that most normal people go through tyres means that comparisons they make are often against old versions of a tyre (eg. I told you about my experience with the directional Rainsport 2s, while you'll be buying Rainsport 3s, which are assymetric).
Gazza_DJ wrote: 01/11/18 11:36 Rainsport 3's are great for the money. A high end Pirelli / Continental / Bridgestone or similar will outperform it in both wet and dry conditions if you're willing to pay the money for them.
This is the best post of the thread. Spot on :clapping:

benjamino

Post by benjamino »

I have some Rainsport 3s going on my Mk3 on saturday. Will report back!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”