Replacement HTE Leads

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
marleyrules

Replacement HTE Leads

Post by marleyrules »

Morning chaps,

I'm hoping to give my MK2 2.0 NA engine bay a new lease of life, and among other things want to replace the HTE Leads.

Are there any recommendations for a good replacement? The child in me wants them to be coloured.

Topic author
marleyrules

Re: Replacement HTE Leads

Post by marleyrules »

Apologies also Rev2

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

oem are best
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

https://mr2-ben.co.uk/categories/47

A decent spark is more important than fancy colours.

As said above the OEM Toyota ones are best but they are not cheap.
I got a s/h set for T2 years ago to replace the c**p Magnecors.
They are still on the car.
Resistance was still well within spec when tested last year.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
marleyrules

Post by marleyrules »

Thanks for the info, i'm fairly certain i've put MR2-ben's kids through University the amount i've bought over the last few months.

I've read a couple of reviews and these seem to be highly regarded, any thoughts?
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota ... -lead-kit/

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

marleyrules wrote: 05/02/19 13:55 Thanks for the info, i'm fairly certain i've put MR2-ben's kids through University the amount i've bought over the last few months.

I've read a couple of reviews and these seem to be highly regarded, any thoughts?
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota ... -lead-kit/
Magnecor KV85 have been known to fail quickly in the past. quite a few threads over the years on them. may be very good now but I personally wouldnt on past history
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

peteV6R5 wrote: 05/02/19 14:18 Magnecor KV85 have been known to fail quickly in the past. quite a few threads over the years on them. may be very good now but I personally wouldnt on past history
+1 - I think he needs to read my previous post again... ;)

The purpose of 'competition spec' and 'aerospace' in advertising for aftermarket parts is frequently designed to make punters think 'oooh it must be good' and persuade them to pay more.

What many people forget is that for competition cars the budget will allow for immediate replacement of any part which fails or is less than optimum. The primary criterion is not longevity. The very opposite of a road car which has to function reliably over extended mileages and in all weather conditions.

T2 had Magnecors KV85s when I bought it. I know that they had been fitted less than two years previously.
A mere 3 years into my ownership the first signs of problems began. Eventually traced to a poor lead/plug cap interface. A design/QC failure imo. The car has been on OEM leads for nearly 7 years now. No issues whatsoever.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

The stock OEM leads on a NA are going to last a very long time.

The leads on a turbo not so much, its much harder on them under boost and when you get to 16-17psi the old ones develop pin holes that the spark jumps through down in the plug wells as the insulation fails.

One of mine failed instantly the first test drive after increasing the boost, otherwise on stock boost they would probably still be working today after nearly 30 years.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

OK I'm interested, how does having forced induction increase the load on the plug leads ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
marleyrules

Post by marleyrules »

Cheers again for the info, read and understood the OEM preference It's just hard to believe there isn't a reliable upgrade set available - but why fix what doesn't need fixing I suppose.

OEM it is!

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

jimi wrote: 06/02/19 4:22 OK I'm interested, how does having forced induction increase the load on the plug leads ?
Much higher peak Voltages required to jump the spark plug gap as the pressure increases in the cylinder.

Even with the insulation failure down inside the plug well, the car continued to run normally until the boost hit 5 or 6 psi at which point it was easier for the spark to jump across the plug well than jump across the spark gap, it was like hitting boost cut when you loose 1 cylinder on the 3SGTE.

Was hard to diagnose the problem but put in a whole set of OEM leads and the problem was suddenly gone.

On very close inspection of one of the leads there was like a discharge ring around the failure point where it had punched through the old insulation.

This is where fine wire electrodes and reduced plug gaps start to play a part, they reduce the extra high Voltage required to fire in high compression engines and put less stress on your HT leads.

The increase in Voltage required is just physics.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

TonyleFrog wrote: 05/02/19 15:21
T2 had Magnecors KV85s when I bought it. I know that they had been fitted less than two years previously.
A mere 3 years into my ownership the first signs of problems began. Eventually traced to a poor lead/plug cap interface. A design/QC failure imo. The car has been on OEM leads for nearly 7 years now. No issues whatsoever.
Over 90k miles on the NA with KV85's, and ~60-70k miles on an unknown age set that came with my previous NA. Only issue on the 2nd set was a split boot on the distributor end which I only found on removal after engine conversion, which Magnecor replaced FOC.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

My car had 8mm Magnecor leads already fitted when I bought it in 2004, still running the same set and never had a bit of bother with them. They are popular with MK1 owners, can't remember seeing any reports of problems with them on MK1'S.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”