Still not running right.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
skidmark66

Still not running right.

Post by skidmark66 »

Ok im stumped with this i have changed sensors and done everything which i need to but its just so hard to start and when it does fire up it will tick over but as soon as i try to throttle it up it will die. Any advice please.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Still not running right.

Post by vinp182 »

Cleaned the MAF? Spark plugs? Coil pack? Vac leak? Knackered injector? Reset ecu?
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
skidmark66

Post by skidmark66 »

Cleaned MAF but will do it again tonight.
Plugs new.
Coil packs replaced.
Vac leak not checked yet.
Injector again not checked but would it throw up a code?
Reset ECU done.
Quick bit of background fault code showed a coil pack down so replaced them all car started on button and run. I run it around the estate and it ran fine for a car which had been laid up for a year. After leaving it for a an hour or so I then tried to start it again and it would turn over but not fire up almost drained the battery but managed to get it going. Anyhow I thought plug it back in to code reader and it was saying 2 of the 02 sensors down so replaced them but its still the same if not a bit worse. Plugs I admit were a bit sooty when I pulled them last nigh but not over excessively so cleaned them and tried again. Car eventually started but it would not throttle up and if I blipped the accelerator it would just try to stop as if it was over fueling.
One thing I haven't changed but will do is crank pos sensor which I will this weekend.
Im still listening for any advice which you guys can throw my way cheers.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Is it new fuel?
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
skidmark66

Post by skidmark66 »

No its old I would say about 18 months old at least.

Topic author
skidmark66

Post by skidmark66 »

Ok an update. This is a funny one to say the least well I think its funny anyway. What I forgot to mention was I swapped out the fuel pump a couple of months ago thinking this was the problem but the car ran fine so thought all was well there and it was pump works a treat. Anyhow yesterday I thought I would have a look at the pump again to see if all was ok and it was working so I pulled it out again to see is if the filter was blocked. Filter was fine so popped back to shed for a cuppa and laid it next to my original pump that's when I noticed the level arm indicator was set at a different height. I believe that this has 3 settings you unclip it and move it up or down. The one I took out was set on a lower setting the float was hitting the bottom of the tank and telling me I had a quarter tank of fuel when it was bloody empty. Unbelievable.
Anyway after walking around the garden laughing like a drain I put my old one back in filled with fuel and it ran perfectly.
So just for ner ners why would the spare pump float be set at a different level I wonder anyone got any ideas?
Hopefully she will be off to garage for MOT this week and on road by weekend I hope.
Mark.

oVerboost.

Post by oVerboost. »

That is a funny, but we've all been there with different car related issues I'm sure.

Glad you got it sorted in the end though, and good luck for MOT. At least all the other bits are new and will future proof the ignition side.

Topic author
skidmark66

Post by skidmark66 »

Off for MOT in the morning fingers crossed.

oVerboost.

Post by oVerboost. »

skidmark66 wrote: 24/05/19 13:27 Off for MOT in the morning fingers crossed.
How did you get on?

Topic author
skidmark66

Post by skidmark66 »

Yep got through ok. Just waiting until next weekend to tax and insure it.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”