Smelly!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Smiles28

Smelly!

Post by Smiles28 »

Hi guys,
I am very new to the mr2 world and loving my new mk3 only issue is there is a burning smell(oil or something).

When i floor it when i get to about 4000-6000rpm in 2nd or 3rd it starts to smell of oil in the cabin and this even happens when the roof is down.

Unfortunately i havent been able go see if i leave a smell behind and cant see any smoke behind me.

I have a new manifold to fit hopefully by a garage week starting 24th june to remove the pre cats as im aware they can cause damage. Does anyone know or have experienced this problem before as i will be doing alot of miles travelling next week on the motorway and dont wanna kill the engine.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Re: Smelly!

Post by ayresyboy »

1zz's are notorious oil burners. Glad you are getting the precats sorted. Check the old manifold to make sure they are still intact.

1.check for oil leaks
2.oil & filter change
3.monitor oil consumption and top up when required
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

I have an oil leak done the right hand side (driver side) of the engine next to the belts but nothing that would cause an issue when i floored it. The car will be getting an oil change and service very soon but hopefully next weekend before the pre cat is done. Which im expecting to be a nightmare and getting a garage to do the work to save my life due from stress and excessive swearing and tools being thrown.

I cant really check the precats because the 02 sensors will be seized no doubt in the holes and i need the car for travelling.

Is the burning oil gonna cause any issues or damage the engine?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

It’s probably burning oil, it’s a very common problem. Just keep checking the oil level is all you can do
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

Is there no way to stop the smell? If i remove the pre cat is it likely to smell worse?

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Yes burning oil, if excessively, could damage your engine :( !

The main problem, with the 1zz engine is not the Precats imploding/exploding/deteriorating, but oil burning due to gummed up oil control rings. The Precats, doing what I stated above, are a symptom of that original problem! You need to get someone to drive behind you and tell you what smoke, if any, is coming out of the exhaust and what colour etc. Also do what Ayresyboy has said in his post including checking the oil every day if you are going to do a lot of travelling this week. When the engine goes, if you do have a problem, that is, it can go dramatically :( Thankfully, we found the metal shavings in Oldie's sump before her engine went bang but my hubby, a mechanic, knew it was on the way out and was ready to get her a new engine.

The cars had 2 updates (UK cars) to try and fix this problem - one c.52/03 reg and one c.55/06/56 reg (but there is no hard and fast way to know the exact dates for the engines). The last update added more holes to the Pistons and, I'm told, but not sure how true it is, some sort of lining on the chambers.

Any Roadster owners near you that could have a look at the car/follow you to see what they can see, if they know the cars well, I mean?

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Just posted on your other post!

Meant to say that there is also a common leak on the tensioner, I believe, but can't at the moment remember exactly where :(

Have you also looked on the Roadster Owner's Club Forum? Doing a search on there may come up with more questions and answers?

Sorry Mods if I shouldn't have mentioned another Forum :(

You probably won't get rid of the smell until you find the problem :(

Topic author
Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

I can get the wife to follow me and let me know. I will post back with an update.

Topic author
Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

20190615_164850.jpg
I havent tested the driving behind me theory yet. I have just serviced the car today just to be safe and while i was running the car for the engine flush i noticed there was black splatters of im guessing oil on the driveway under the exhaust.
I think ive bought a lemon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Merged OP's 2 posts and removed duplicates
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

Thank you

Topic author
Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

Black smoke comes from exhaust and stinks when reved never even needed to take a run. Is there additives that can stop the problem or make it slightly better?
Does this mean i have to live with it or replace the engine to resolve the issue?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”