Brake master cylinder for MK2 import

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
koalagirl
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Brake master cylinder for MK2 import

Post by koalagirl »

Please could anyone help me. I have had new calipers and brake pads on the rear of my car a fortnight ago. All has been fine until saturday when all of a sudden the car wasn't pulling as well and the brake pedal was up and really hard. The garage thought it might have been the servo but the car wouldn't move when it was switched off so they thought maybe not. They have said it could be the master cylinder but they can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know where there might be one available to buy? Its an M reg. 2 litre turbo. japanese import. I have spent a lot of money on the car and don't want to have to get rid of it. Any ideas please?

rgb
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 21
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Brake master cylinder for MK2 import

Post by rgb »

get a new garage , try mr2ben , if you want to drive to crewkerne somerset iv got one off a j redg g ltd which you can have

Topic author
koalagirl

Post by koalagirl »

i am in weston super mare so not such a long journey. about an hour away. i worry that garages are not always honest about things. my garage wanted to charge me and change all my calipers and i knew they didnt all need doing so i took it to another one. i think they are more fitters than mechanics tbh. i know a reasonable amount about cars but not enough to hold my own with someone who knows more than me.
I will speak to the garage again later with a friend of mine who knows more than me to discover if they know what they are talking about. Can you let me know how much and when you are at home if i need to come over and collect the part as soon as it is convenient for you and we can swap contact details. thanks for your response. as you can imagine i am devastated.

headcase
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by headcase »

Did they release brake bleed screw to let excess fluid out ,have they tested the rubber brake lines or have you got Goodrich hoses on

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

My first thought was brake hose! Has some monkey put it on all twisted?
Next thought is seized handbrake cable(s) esp with all the wet.
Also possible dodgy new caliper, poorly rebuilt?

Low down on my list would be master cylinder failing and holding pressure.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
koalagirl

Post by koalagirl »

I'm not sure what they did tbh but did check the hose. they said the wheels wouldnt move. They took it for a test drive and it was fine then it locked up again.

StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

I'm thinking along the same lines as Jan w.r.t to a badly rebuilt caliper.
Were they rebuilt or a completely new part?

Look here too: http://www.mr2.com/forums/archive/index ... 48274.html
Similar issue - although for a different gen?

Topic author
koalagirl

Post by koalagirl »

they were new and brake pads. i have been talking to a local scrapyard who has one in so going to look tomorrow and hopefully get master cylinder. i wish i had thought about that first cos he has a whole car with lots of parts. thanks to rgb from first message for pointing me in the right direction. I guess the garage have done everything they could in the right way but who knows. fingers crossed it will all go right now. thanks to everyone for their input. much appreciated.

Topic author
koalagirl

Post by koalagirl »

so i took the car out today after getting it back from the garage yesterday. it was fine and then all of a sudden it seemed to lose power. it didnt cut out but it didnt pull in 3rd or 4th gear. i had to call a recovery service and waited for over 2 and 1/2 hours. he said to try driving it home and he would follow me. it drove fine all the way home. any more ideas what the problem could be please. im thinking i should take it back to the garage and get them to start again and check all their work.

Topic author
koalagirl

Post by koalagirl »

so had to call AA out again as the brakes/wheels were stuck on again. the master cylinder wasnt the right one so they used parts from it and put in mine. car wouldnt move out of gear with handbrake off again. is there anyone who knows where to get a master cylinder from for a 1995 import. apparently they changed after 1991 so needs to be after 1992.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Have you got abs ? I changed mine on my 1991 Gltd to a Hiace one when I did my big brake upgrade but still have the old one which was working ok. but not for a car with abs.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
koalagirl

Post by koalagirl »

it doesnt say abs when i switch it on so maybe not. garage tried to fit another master cylinder but it was off an earlier model i think cos it was from a scrap yard. i've had rear calipers and brakes done in the last 3 weeks and it has never been right since. maybe coincidence or not.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Master ... 2749.l2649

This is what I bought , maybe of use !
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

rgb
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 21
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by rgb »

this must be driving you mad dealing with "censored" mechanics I recn the hand brake is the issue .not been reset .if thevve put new calipers on an now it dosent work how does the hand brake feel when its locking up is it tight

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”