Engine dead - 2zz swap?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Re: Engine dead - 2zz swap?

Post by Aerotus »

So folks it's all done! I used Sam at SJ Autosport for the 2zz engine kit and Drift Performance Limits to do the swap.

It was an 80% plug and play swap and took 16 hours of labour all in including engine service and testing etc. Victor at Drift Limits is a top guy and highly recommended. Everything went reasonably smoothly aside no real paperwork proving the engine is what I was told i.e. 77k miles (he originally told me 70k which i found to be rather unprofessional) and strong compression test. Sam says he will send me the previous owner's V5C so I can verify the engine number, so hopefully that will all work out. Aside from that, Sam was very helpful in providing install instructions and advice.

The engine itself seems in excellent condition and is very powerful and the lift works perfectly after around 6200rpm.

I've owned a 2zz engine before in my Celica GTS so the only difference i noticed was mainly that the engine's cold start RPM is 2000 which goes down to 1400 after 5 mins warm up. (This is normal according to forums). But the 2000 rpm is more noticeable with the engine noise being so close by. I stalled the car several times in my first two sessions as the car is very sensitive to being around or below 2000rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear. If i cruise at that level, the engine doesn't like it and feels on the verge of stalling. In my old Celica, it was never this sensitive to stalling at low rpms and i remember being able to drive at 30mph in 4th gear without any worries at all about stalling.

It therefore feels like more of a race car which does not like to operate in a relaxed manner at low rpms. And i need to be a lot more weary when slowing down esp in 3rd gear as it will stall given half the chance at 2000rpm. Does anyone have any views on this? I'm guessing the standard mr2 flywheel is lighter than the one on the celica? I will get used to it soon but i would now never let anyone else drive my car as its so easy to stall compared to any other manual cars I've been in. Makes it harder to cruise at below 30mph without being a bit weary.

Furthermore, due to my car having an immobiliser and the 2zz also having a different immobiliser. I can't just start the engine with my key turn. I have to turn the key and give gas. Then pull out key and immediately reinsert and start as normal and then only does the car start. Apparently this is a small price to pay for the engine swap and is caused by the two immobiliser signals fighting each other. Works very consistently though once used to the procedure.

But stalling and having to insert key twice to restart is not a good combination as i found out several times.

Car now feels super sensitive to throttle input and have to be conscious of when and where to enter lift as car gets a bit unstable if you keep revs going in and out the 6200 lift level. Car is more frantic and exciting to drive now and not the more relaxing drive it used to be.

One other side effect is they supplied a sport pipe which attaches to my cobra quad exhaust. I already told them i wanted to pass MOT's so didnt want a decat but this one is still very loud and quite boomy even though it has a cat inside! I'm really hoping the boominess will reduce after some time as noise and vibration levels are at the more uncomfortable part of my limit. When lift is hit the exhaust noise is shockingly loud! Which is nice but it's more the general boominess i don't like.

Any views from people who have done a 2zz swap would be highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Aero

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Buy an early Celica JDM ecu which has no immobiliser and better lift
Cars suck donkey balls

headcase
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by headcase »

Celica ecu should work perfect . shouldn't have to muck about like that for starting. It should tick over at 900 rpm when warmed up it shouldn't be trying to stall .

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

Checked the numbers. Lift happens at 6400rpm and 8000rpm is the limiter. Is it simple to switch the current celica ecu with an earlier celica ecu? Is it worth doing? I dont mind lift at 6400 to be honest but the double turning of key issue is a bit annoying.

Initial idle revs were 2000, went down within 5 secs to 1900. After 10 mins driving was 1300. After another 10 mins got to as low as 1000. But then 10 mins later went up to 1300 again. Is that weird?

Even warmed up, engine easily stalls just under 2000rpm in 3rd gear. Slow cruising at 10 to 15mph is not easy and requires pressing in clutch when slow moving and giving more boosts of power in 2nd to speed up. How can i make the engine less stallable? Could it be an O2 sensor or something else?

I put in a tank of Tesco Momentum 99 RON hoping it will help. But no help so far... would it help this issue? Maybe a couple more tanks of it needed to fully flush through the system.

Aero

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

Sam was very helpful and advised that there is an issue with the idle control installation and likely the 2 wires need to be reversed as the polarity is the wrong way possibly due to my car having a different loom. This he says is also the cause of the engine easily stalling.

He also said the immobilers werent swapped properly and that i shouldnt have to start the car twice every time. He offered to fix that for free with a different ECU if i go see him in Birmingham. Top guy!

Aero

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

Sam was spot on. Once the wires were reversed the engine now idles at 800rpm once warmed. No more stalling issues! Drives smoothly now and everything is perfect.

Aero

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

That's good, how about your ECU/Immobiliser issue ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

Sam offered to fix it for free in Birmingham (the ecu/immobiliser issue). Seems a lot of bother as I dont have the time for a day trip. So decided to stay with having to start the car twice. Since it doesnt stall anymore I'm not too bothered. The other alternative was locking it by key but then losing the central locking as the immobiliser would be removed from the key. Figured I much prefer to have the remote locking function rather than turning key once. Also means no thief will be able to start my car easily.

demetriz

Post by demetriz »

Absu

Post by Absu »

vinp182 wrote: 03/06/19 8:58 Patrick is Headcase above ^^^^

Ur old engine is not worth anything

I don't know what do you mean..? However 1zz 2zz worth absolutely nothing...even 2gr! :notworthy:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”