New here 98 beams clutch slip

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
rwdjon
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 5

New here 98 beams clutch slip

Post by rwdjon »

Hi ,

I’ve just put a 98 beams Mr2 back on the road after 6 years off. The car was started every few months and moved on the drive but not road driven. I brought the car on the road this week and the clutch started slipping at 3k revs. Clutch peddle sticky on occasion also. Clutch was fine as replaced prior to parking up. Do you think this is a sticking cylinder or gearbox out for clutch replacement. I did go under the car to check clutch fork ops to find I can push the fork back into the cylinder 20mm. Should the fork not retract fully on removing foot from the peddle. My plan is to remove both cylinders 1st and check ops before removing the box , what do you guys think before I dive in head 1st.
Thanks and regards
Jon.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: New here 98 beams clutch slip

Post by jimi »

Sounds like you have hydraulic problems, I'd do as you suggested, overhaul/replace the master and slave cylinders and flush out the line while the slave is off., bleed the system and tben see how the clutch behaves.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

One symptom of MAF failure feels a lot like a lot like clutch slip.

If replacing the cylinder and fluid doesn't work then I'd look at the MAF next, they tend to start failing after 10 years and now it's potentially 20 years old.

That being said, the issue you described with the fork not retracting fully seems like you have air in your clutch fluid.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
rwdjon

Post by rwdjon »

Hi ,
I may regret this but can’t get the cylinder parts for a near a week so weather permitting the box will be dropped today . Thinking about it surely if it were a hydraulic problem I would have difficulty engaging gear ? Will keep updated.
Thanks
Jon

Topic author
rwdjon

Post by rwdjon »

Update : gearbox removed and the release bearing is partially seized along the shaft. New clutch to be ordered tomorrow.
If anyone has the most ideal way of bleeding the system that would be great as I hear they are a pig to bleed.
Thanks
Jon

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

And I was gonna pipe up with the release bearing sticking on the shaft due to infrequent use.

As for bleeding the clutch peeps suggest reverse bleeding or vacuum bleeding. I have had good success just 2 man bleed as normal to fully flush the old fluid, then push the rod on the slave in whilst opening the bleed nipple, then bleed as normal a little more.

On my 2 this worked first time.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
rwdjon

Post by rwdjon »

Thanks for info , I just wonder if I had pumped in some wd40 into release bearing would it have worked.
Anyhow: Exedy 3 piece clutch ordered plus genuine seals for master and slave.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”