Car wont start / fire when wet

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Puppetmaster

Car wont start / fire when wet

Post by Puppetmaster »

Hi

Having issues with my 97 UK MR2 starting when its wet. Bit of back story. For the past 6 months or so, when it had rained a lot the car didn't run at 100%, it seemed like a misfire I guess but after 5 or so minutes it would be fine.

Fast forward to the past 4 - 6 weeks and my car was not always starting when wet. It would turn over but usually wouldn't fire if it had rained a lot. Sometimes it would struggle but if it was "trying" to (rather than just turning over) it would sometimes start and as long as you kept the revs up for awhile, it would resolve it self.

I found by placing a plastic sheet over the engine lid when not driving it, even when it had been wet it would be OK. It starts no problem when its very cold outside, just wet it has problems with.

I had the plugs and leads changed end of Dec which didn't seem to help. I changed the Distributor cap & rotor arm on Sunday but the problem is still there.

Any suggestions? Garage cant take a look until next Week.

Topic author
Puppetmaster

Re: Car wont start / fire when wet

Post by Puppetmaster »

Just reading the other thread, is it the coil pack that is at fault maybe?

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Car wont start / fire when wet

Post by abovetherim »

I would guess at coil pack, like the other thread.

When they crack they let moisture in and stop working.

I had one that when I went out in heavy rain it would cut out but as soon as it rested 10 mins the heat from the engine dried it out enough to work.

As a stop gap whilst you wait for delivery of a new one you can dry the cracked one out with a hairdryer then fill the cracks in the casing with rtv silicon. I got a year out if one like that!

So first off visually check the body of the coil. Have a look at the picks in my thread I linked in the other thread.
If it is cracked you might consider buying a new bracket as apparently they are not too much from a dealer, and it will be a pig to get the old one appart.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”