Doors locking themselves?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Doors locking themselves?

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Hello. I open and close my 1996 MR2 (Rev 4) with the key as the electronic fob does not seem to work.
It opens and locks fine but I have noticed that sometimes when I am driving along the doors suddenly lock themselves without me touching anything.
I thought at first I might be leaning on the door lock button on the armrest but I am not - they just suddenly move to lock.
I can still get out of the car by flipping the little switch on the interior door lock but I am at a loss to understand why the car keeps trying to lock me in. Any ideas?

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Doors locking themselves?

Post by S81933 »

Ha!
I could suggest that you have some almost undecipherable wiring issue on the locks. I have something similar which, with the assistance of an experienced MR2 owner, I have been unable to source. Mine will only lock properly on the key and only from the passengers door, if I lock from the drivers door, the passenger door doesn't lock and the alarm doesn't activate :annoyed: . Bizarre :blink: , but I live with it! If anybody asks why I'm doing that, I just say "strange 25 year old Japanese locking system ;) ".
It seems that the locking electrics in a Mk2 are a mystery - maybe even to Mr T.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Well I’ve just been out again in it tonight and it was working absolutely fine – the whole thing is a mystery. However I have just had the door speakers replaced because the old ones were knackered – maybe in doing so they have disturbed the wiring in some way? Who knows?

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Think I have now solved it – so I thought I would post what has happened for the benefit of others.
When I went to open the boot with the key I found the lock position was in the anticlockwise left position. This apparently makes the boot unopenable using the lever inside the car.
Now that I have returned the key position on the boot lock to the upright vertical position I am no longer having the issue of the car doors locking themselves whilst I’m driving along.
I have no idea why this has put it right but it certainly has.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Boot lock has nothing to do with electronic door mechanisms. Problem will be in the door wiring harness which tends to break at hinge point. Often several wires break and short to others. Door locking and window control seem to be the first to go.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Yes, it looks like you are right. Thought it was too good to be true – the locking issue has started again! What solution, if any, do you suggest?

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Need to pull harness and repair broken wires.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”