Carbon cleaner?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyjf89
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Carbon cleaner?

Post by andyjf89 »

Hi!

So I performed a compression test on the 93T today with okay results, 185-195 across the board. That would suggest a carbon build up on pistons etc

Would anyone ever do a carbon clean using products or know of a way of cleaning the piston heads without taking the head off?

Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: Carbon cleaner?

Post by jimi »

Suggests to me there's very little if anything wrong with it, the BGB spec is
Compression pressure 192 psi
Minimum pressure 156 psi
Difference between cylinders 14psi or less
put a little engine oil down the plug hole of the lowest cylinders and repeat the test, if it goes up it suggests worn rings. If it stays the same then it suggests valve seats or possibly head gasket.
Not sure I follow the carbon build up on pistons causing low compression reasoning ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
andyjf89
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Re: Carbon cleaner?

Post by andyjf89 »

Ahh perfect, I was under the impression from another forum post that 150 psi readings were deemed average but if not that is great news.

It was mentioned high carbon build up can be the cause of high readings too, not sure about the reasonings myself just what was said online.

Thanks for the post, much appreciated 😄

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”