Remote Locking Kit & Factory Alarm

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
ToyotaTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Remote Locking Kit & Factory Alarm

Post by ToyotaTom »

Hello all,

I've been following this guide.
https://mr2oc.co.uk/forum/198/165250.html

Got my cheap eBay kit to lock and unlock the doors remotely , HOWEVER, Simply splicing black (lock) and black/yellow (unlock) wires, Pins 10 & 11 means that after the ignition has been on it arms the alarm when I press the lock button on the fob, happy with that but when you press unlock on the fob it sets off the alarm :facepalm: :facepalm:

Any ideas? Ideally I'd just hook the aftermarket kit up to the same circuit the key lock works off, as of course that disables the alarm when I turn the key, but not sure where that signal goes. Hope that makes sense, its a REV 3 UK car with Toyota Security.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Remote Locking Kit & Factory Alarm

Post by shinny »

You HAVE wired up to the driver's side lock, as far as I can tell. I've cross referenced to the wiring diagrams I have and your install looks like what I'd do. however I bet the 25 year old factory alarm is getting confused... from it's point of view, you locked the car from the outside with the engine running, so it may well have got into a state of confusion when it sees the unlock.

Topic author
ToyotaTom

Post by ToyotaTom »

Before doing this I have found that sometimes pressing the door lock from the inside with no key in the ignition the system does arm, if I press the unlock button it will set the alarm off, you have to go outside and turn the key in the lock barrel to stop it, so I guess the question has to be, where does that lock barrel unlock signal go? As thats the one I need to splice into.

shinny

Post by shinny »

Driver's side key barrel is the black and black/yellow wires you've tapped into.

Topic author
ToyotaTom

Post by ToyotaTom »

Ok cool, so what can be done about disabling the alarm when the fob is clicked, someone must have had this before.

Topic author
ToyotaTom

Post by ToyotaTom »

CRACKED IT! Although any future readers should know that this does stop the alarm arming when locked.

I've drew a quick coloured wiring diagram as applicable for my REV 3 UK Car
eBay Locking Kit.fw.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shinny

Post by shinny »

Disabling your car's alarm is an interesting definition of "cracked it", although I can understand the frustration of trying to get it working.

I was looking at the photo you posted on facebook, went back to the wiring diagrams I have (which are for US cars) and spotted something interesting.

US diagram:
10 - Red/Black - Button lock
11 - Green/Black - Button unlock
12 - Black - Key lock
13 - Black/Yellow - Key unlock

Your car:
10 - Black
11 - Black/Yellow
12 - White/Red
13 - White/Green

[My apologies that I didn't spot the mismatch earlier - I was also looking at diagrams for the factory alarm where the black and black/yellow wires are in pins 10 and 11 on the theft deterrent ECU, albeit the other way round]

When the pin numbers and wire colours don't match up I normally find the wire colours are the thing to follow. However the behaviour you had on pin 11 does indeed sound like an unlock from the button not the key barrel. And then when you ground pin 13, the alarm is disabled... possibly as if the key was continually in the unlock position? Although why the alarm armed on

So I'd be really tempted to try connecting your unlock wire to the white/green wire you're currently grounding out and see if that gets you a functioning alarm on the remote unlock. If that works I'd then try rewiring the lock to the white/red wire.

Topic author
ToyotaTom

Post by ToyotaTom »

I did try having the lock and unlock wires from the unit spliced into the white wires but nothing happened. I also tried grounding out the white/red pin, adding another wire from the kit to both wires, lots of trial and error and in the end as you said, the frustration just let me to grounding the alarm pin.

If anyone else does read this before fitting their system try and have a go playing around with the two white wires and let me know if anything is achieved.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”