Standard wheel size

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tommy10101

Standard wheel size

Post by tommy10101 »

Hi all,

I have a few questions about the standard tire size from factory.

1. What are the stock tire sizes for a rev2 and rev3 turbo?

2. Is it true that all sw20 have a staggered wheel setup from factory?

3. My rev3 is currently on 225,45,r16 all round. Would the handling balance be negatively affected by this? My car will mainly be used as a track car

Thanks
Tom

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Standard wheel size

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

nick

Post by nick »

All said in the link. The main issue tends to be availability of suitable tyres, particularly rears. On yours 225 at the front is pretty wide, or 225 at the back a bit narrow! Balance is not ideal in a tail happy car so I would be a bit wary of this set up.

Is the car turbo or N/A ?

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

It’s a rev 3 turbo, thanks for the info

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I would disagree that the MR2 is "tail happy" there's something wrong if yours is. ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

Do you think my car has the dreaded sunken in look at the rear?

Is it true running same tire size all round will result in the rears being sunken in due to the track being designed for staggered tire width?

In theory, could I get away with putting a 245 tire width on the rear on these same wheels? Either that or some spacers?

Please let me know what you think about the look of mine - I think the rear could benefit from 20mm wider tires or 20mm spacers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nick

Post by nick »

Depending on wheel width I would be minded to go up on the rear tyre width.

Like most rear/mid engined cars the MR2 is prone to be tail happy. The rule is not to lift off once into a corner to try and prevent this. Lift off oversteer in slower corners can be used to bring it round.

I am fairly experienced competitor in a number of cars, but have spun my MR2 a couple of times, and treat it with respect in the faster turns. I accept this is in part learning the car, but it will not forgive you like a hot hatch.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

you actually need 12.5mm spacers on the rear with same size wheels. 7" or 7.5" as examples
cant get 12.5 so nearest is 15mm. these bring the wheels in line. had this setup on mine and it worked well until got staggered wheels.
reason is track is 1" less at rear to accommodate the wider rear wheels.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Found the MR2 was not a great track car to be honest. Great on the road where it cannot be pushed hard enough but it just tail spins on the track in a horrible uncontrollable fashion once it goes. Rear brakes need to be sorted as well and the balance and bias checked or it even goes round on you under hard braking in a straight line. Fantastic car on the road but after a couple of track sessions decided to give it the swerve. To much weight in the rear an all aluminum 3SGTE engine would have transformed the handling, it needs like 100Kg taken out of its aarse. If you have driven anything faster with way better predictable handling you just cannot live with it on the track, it just becomes annoying.

nick

Post by nick »

As the risk of highjacking the post, I will defend the MR2 handling. My comments are for a Rev3 Mk2, and a n/a motor. On hills and sprints.

I am comparing with a range of mostly front engine/rear drive cars of a similar age.

Brakes (on yellow stuff) are excellent, as is traction. Brake,lift and turn works very well on slower corners, once settled the car turns in well and through higher speed corners, providing you do not lift, I do treat it with respect here. I accept the increased weight and torque of a turbo may well feel different.

I run in Classic Marques, with a range of sports cars, from MGB to S2000 and MX5 and boxster, the handicap is based on car power to weight, I am normally mid grid (and no spring chicken), on track the main limitation is relatively poor torque with high gearing, often difficult to stay in the power band. I would be interested to see how a turbo went with it's much better torque.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

nick wrote: 27/04/20 12:22 I accept the increased weight and torque of a turbo may well feel different.
The turbo may as well be a different car. I think if you nearly double the power in anycar its going to change things quite radically. Its only as good as other driving experiences you have had, it all becomes relative. Personally I prefer something thats still controllable in a 4 wheel drift it allows you to push the limit all the time on the track. Cannot say I particularly enjoyed going over 100km/hr in reverse through the infield grass in my MR2.

Just clocked over 22 years of ownership on mine a few days ago, its been one hell of a ride.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”