Turbo front discs

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyjf89
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Turbo front discs

Post by andyjf89 »

Hi all,

I have noticed a bit of play in my steering and under braking.

On inspection, the calipers are bolted tight, no play in the bushings etc but when trying the standard wheel bearing left and right/top and bottom shaking of the wheel I feel movement left to right but not up and down. There is also no shaking in the suspension and the hub feels (surprisingly) quite smooth.

I’ve noticed there is a whole lot of space/gap between the wheel lug and the disc and the discs (Below) on the car do not have any retaining screws (but new replacement discs appear to have them).

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the disc is moving ever so slightly on the hub? I planned to replace the discs anyway as they are grotty 😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
andyjf89

Re: Turbo front discs

Post by andyjf89 »

Further to this, the disc is reaaaally loose on the hub when the wheel is off, obviously as there are no retaining screws and the lug nuts are off but it seems quite excessive

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

There will be no play when the wheel nuts are tight, they are designed that way. I'd be checking the brake pistons and calipers, a sticky caliper/piston can cause the same symptoms.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

jimi wrote: 26/05/20 20:01 There will be no play when the wheel nuts are tight, they are designed that way. I'd be checking the brake pistons and calipers, a sticky caliper/piston can cause the same symptoms.

Thanks Jimi.

I have noticed there is a hell of a lot of play in the caliper too (side to side where the sliders are) which moves with the disc.

I have just ordered new slider bushings, rubber boots and bolts fro MR2-Ben, I think I will get new discs too in case.

Do you know if the discs should have a retainer in them? Just curious as I have seen them for sale and pictures online on forums, some discs have them and some dont

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

I’m also testing the movement with the lug nuts done up tight, car jacked up etc and there is still left to right movement

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

It won't be the discs moving, if everything is tight then the discs are clamped between the hub and the wheel and can't move. Check the movement isn't in in the ball joint or track rod end

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

Perfect!

I’ll give them a bash, I know they are cheap enough to buy but can be a pain in the backside to replace 😂

I think I’ll do the track rod ends first and hope it is them

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Better to check for wear first, no point in guessing, this will give you an idea of how to check them, it's American and FWD, but the principles are the same

nick

Post by nick »

I agree, sounds more like steering/suspension play than brakes

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

Thanks guys, the more I’m reading into tie and track rods the more I’m linking steering feelings (light/loose steering, tiny bit of steering wander etc).

Thanks for the video Jimi, I’ll let you know how I get on tomorrow when I get back out to the money pit!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”