Dash cluster

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Dash cluster

Post by jimi »

Morphman wrote: 26/06/20 10:15 Pity there wasnt a way of getting the build list for you car, or maybe there is??
There isn't a way I know of to get a build list, but there is a way that should tell you if the car came with power steering.
Go here http://www.japan-parts.eu/ and enter your VIN number, it should offer you the choice of a couple of cars, pick the appropriate area (ie if it's a UK car pick EU rhd) that should take you to the cataloue page.
Click the Electrical tab, then select "Switch & Relay & Computer"
Then you to page 3
there you will see various parts of the power steering system, select a part, for example the motor brush if the pop up says Not Applicable then the car didn't have Power Steering.
If you can't get it to work PM me your complete VIN number and I'll look it up in the EPC.

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by S81933 »

Just crossed my mind. If it has gone P/S, it should have the warning light, which should come on when the key turns to IGN, then go out if the pump's working. Just checked that on mine, with some discomfort as it's bloody hot out there (T-Bar in this amount of sun!!)
But, of course, if the cluster's been changed, has it been changed to a non P/S version (if they are different).

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

jimi wrote: 26/06/20 13:03
Morphman wrote: 26/06/20 10:15 Pity there wasnt a way of getting the build list for you car, or maybe there is??
There isn't a way I know of to get a build list, but there is a way that should tell you if the car came with power steering.
Go here http://www.japan-parts.eu/ and enter your VIN number, it should offer you the choice of a couple of cars, pick the appropriate area (ie if it's a UK car pick EU rhd) that should take you to the cataloue page.
Click the Electrical tab, then select "Switch & Relay & Computer"
Then you to page 3
there you will see various parts of the power steering system, select a part, for example the motor brush if the pop up says Not Applicable then the car didn't have Power Steering.
If you can't get it to work PM me your complete VIN number and I'll look it up in the EPC.
Thanks Jimi, no auto version when I input the vin there.. will send on if that's ok

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

S81933 wrote: 26/06/20 13:26 Just crossed my mind. If it has gone P/S, it should have the warning light, which should come on when the key turns to IGN, then go out if the pump's working. Just checked that on mine, with some discomfort as it's bloody hot out there (T-Bar in this amount of sun!!)
But, of course, if the cluster's been changed, has it been changed to a non P/S version (if they are different).
Hi Mate, no warning light when I turn on the dash but as I said I'd say the cluster was altered or changed

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

YGPM :th:

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

Small update on the dash, the reading for mph matches with kph on google maps.

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

With thanks to Jimi I can confirm my car should have p/s but there is a manual rack in there which has a small bit if play in the passenger side joint.
Now the question is should I put the p/s back (there are no signs of where pump etc were fitted) or continue with the manual?

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

that depends on whether you find the current steering too heavy and your budget to reinstate the power steering
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

jeff wrote: 27/06/20 13:13 that depends on whether you find the current steering too heavy and your budget to reinstate the power steering
Hi Jeff
Thanks, it's really only noticeable when still, parking etc.
I may need to get a new rack anyway(I don't know if you can just buy the passenger arm) but I cant see any place where the original pump etc was.
Are there any pics fo this?

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

Ok so inner tie rod ordered and will be fitting over the next couple of days, hopefully that cures the little rattle.
Back to the p/s, my car definitely did not come out p/s, there is not a trace of it anywhere.
I have to say there is virtually no rust in this thing, the only bit is the bottom of the drivers door and I think I can fix that myself. Paint ain't great with a good few scratches but maybe I can fix most of them too.

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

So I had a good look at the steering rack and it turns out it's the bush 4552 that is worn. Has anybody replaced one of these??

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

Anybody know what this red light is for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Looks to be aftermarket, could be anything, but most likely for an alarm/immobiliser.

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

jimi wrote: 07/07/20 20:02 Looks to be aftermarket, could be anything, but most likely for an alarm/immobiliser.
Thanks Jimi, I sort if reckoned that. I only have a normal key and as I said would love to put remote locking and an alarm on her.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”