Replacement Front Fog Lamps

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
GarfordJB
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Replacement Front Fog Lamps

Post by GarfordJB »

Hi all,

The front fog lamps in my Mk3 have corroded and need replacing. Looking around, there is a bit of a price differential for the lights. It's not a part I've ever really considered, so I was wondering whether there is a justifiable reason why some might be more expensive than others, and, if so, whether it's worth spending the extra cash.

So, if anyone has changed their fogs, I'd be really interested to hear what you used as a replacement and whether you're happy with them.

Thanks!

John.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Replacement Front Fog Lamps

Post by carolineasb »

I have heard that MK1 Prius fogs fit but probably best to check with someone like Dick Sloan the Roadster guru at MR2 Recycling

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

or just turn the holes into brake cooling ducts. Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
GarfordJB

Post by GarfordJB »

That's an interesting idea. Is that a popular mod?

DunneMJ

Post by DunneMJ »

Hello John

One of my front fog lamps has corroded; did you decide on the best way to proceed? Thanks,

Mark

GarfordJB wrote: 05/04/21 15:26 Hi all,

The front fog lamps in my Mk3 have corroded and need replacing. Looking around, there is a bit of a price differential for the lights. It's not a part I've ever really considered, so I was wondering whether there is a justifiable reason why some might be more expensive than others, and, if so, whether it's worth spending the extra cash.

So, if anyone has changed their fogs, I'd be really interested to hear what you used as a replacement and whether you're happy with them.

Thanks!

John.

Topic author
GarfordJB

Post by GarfordJB »

Hi Mark,

I'm afraid I didn't get any further yet. My car has been in the garage on and off for weeks due to what could be a faulty knock sensor...or could be dodgy wiring. Now trying to work out whether it's worth trying to find a secondhand part as I can't stomach the near £250 Toyota charges for a replacement (without fitting).

I suspect I'll get hold of a couple of cheapish new lamps from eBay and slap them in. What are your thoughts?

DunneMJ

Post by DunneMJ »

Thanks John. Nothing sensible I'm afraid. Just part-ex my MK3 today and the new one has a defective fog light. Not got my hands on it yet, but noticed your thread today. Mark

Topic author
GarfordJB

Post by GarfordJB »

I've ordered a pair so will let you know how I get on.

DunneMJ

Post by DunneMJ »

Thanks @GarfordJB. What did you go for?

blitzmk2@hotmail.com

Post by blitzmk2@hotmail.com »

I bought some Chinese lamps with angel eyes and wired the angel eyes to act as daytime running lamps. looked good and fitted well. unfortunately the angel eyes only lasted ten minutes. complained to the E bay seller, who sent me two more by return. these did not last ten minutes. they still look good and the fog lamps work fine, but I only wanted them for the angel eyes so £17.50 wasted. I would happily pay a lot more for lamps that work, but can't find any.

Topic author
GarfordJB

Post by GarfordJB »

That's a pity as I'm sure they looked awesome when they worked. Any idea what failed?

blitzmk2@hotmail.com

Post by blitzmk2@hotmail.com »

Ref my Chinese lamps with angel eyes. It appears to be the led's themselves though I am no electrician.

Topic author
GarfordJB

Post by GarfordJB »

@DunneMJ have you had any success changing your lights? I finally got access today and I just can't get the old ones off!

DunneMJ

Post by DunneMJ »

@GarfordJB I've not tried to access yet. Bit of a worry that they won't budge??!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”