MR2 turbo rev 2 ecu

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Payney

MR2 turbo rev 2 ecu

Post by Payney »

Hi I don’t know if anyone can help me but currently I have a MR2 turbo rev 2 that for some reason has a celica st205 ecu in it with a relay to fool the ecu into thinking the intercooler water pump is running and the level is full. The problem is that I think the ecu is kaput and now i need to get a replacement but don’t want to faff about putting relays in to trick the the ecu. I’ve looked about and heard somewhere that the ecu with model number 896161-17460 has the same pin outs and as far as I can see using internet pin out diagrams it does. The only thing is I don’t want to spend £££s to find it doesn’t work. So I was hoping someone might know more about this than me. Any info would be much appreciated many thanks chris ps also for some reason I don’t have an AFM all I have is an intake probe that’s been bodged into a silicone hose with lots of tape and also the lambda sensor isn’t connected and I carnt seem to find a plug to connect it to thanks chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: MR2 turbo rev 2 ecu

Post by benckj »

The obvious choice given your current unknown mods is to go aftermarket. There are several PNP models available that won’t break the bank and give you the flexibility to install now and future proof any other mods.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Anyone serious about keeping their MR2 for a long time should get themselves a spare factory ECU.

You swap it over and test it and leave it running in the car BEFORE you have any issues and store original in a box. They are as cheap as chips if you keep watch and are not in a hurry for one. I picked up a couple of them for like NZD$80 each, tested and stored them.

Not sure if there is such a thing as a cheap aftermarket ECU, what do you call cheap ? The link is like NZ$1800 so thats hardly cheap.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 20/04/21 22:35 You swap it over and test it and leave it running in the car BEFORE you have any issues and store original in a box. They are as cheap as chips if you keep watch and are not in a hurry for one. I picked up a couple of them for like NZD$80 each, tested and stored them.
Rev1/Rev2 ECU's are cheap sure, you won't find a Rev3+ turbo ECU for anywhere near that sort of money.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

The ECU in the pic from is a JDM ST205 3S-GTE engine, is the engine in the car the original? or has it perhaps been replaced by a later ST205 engine, hence the ECU ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Payney

Post by Payney »

Many thanks for the reply’s I have since found out that mine has been converted to a gen3 hence the st205 ecu and the probe that was bogged into the silicone hose is the air temp probe. I’m not necessarily looking for a cheap fix just don’t want to spend money on the wrong ecu. At present I’m trying to borrow an oscilloscope to find out if I’m getting the correct signal from the IGF pin of the ecu as my car starts from cold runs for about 1 minute then the revs die out cuts out then won’t restart. I have watched a YouTube vid (Andy mechanic) and he had the same issues and it turned out to be the ecu signal from the IGF fluctuating all over the place. Prior to this I had and ecu fault where some of the capacitors had leaked and had a mate change some of them wich I thought had sorted it but don’t use the car daily and now I’m thinking maybe I’d didn’t sort it totally many thanks chris

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

The ECU's on the whole appear to be incredibly reliable. The earlier gen models do not appear to have the leaking capacitor issues. Your more likely to have a sensor fault or a wiring fault than the ECU itself going faulty but a spare ECU is only a quick and easy 5 minute swap to rule it out.

Topic author
Payney

Post by Payney »

Many thanks I think I may get a spare then that way I can eliminate the ecu and have a back up for future if this is not the fault many thanks for all your replies. Any one any good with 300zx twin turbos too lol

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 21/04/21 19:34 The ECU's on the whole appear to be incredibly reliable. The earlier gen models do not appear to have the leaking capacitor issues. Your more likely to have a sensor fault or a wiring fault than the ECU itself going faulty but a spare ECU is only a quick and easy 5 minute swap to rule it out.
Based on what? There are countless examples across the various forums, social media groups etc of Rev1 and Rev2 ECU's having this problem.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Based on me never having a problem with my ECU's.

The said leaky capacitors are not even on the board when I opened mine up. If it hasn't failed after 23 years it not going to fail now. Typically Electrolytic's dry out rather than leak.

If you want leaky caps try the original factory CD player it was full of them, probably 20 or so that I replaced when I scored one probably 20 years ago now because it had died.

Just checked my spares and I have three tested and working ECU's. An original March 1990 version 89661-17321 that came with the car and a couple of the earlier 89661-17320's from 1989. Not sure what's currently in the car but its been working fine for years now. Different variants had quite different components and the leaky caps could have even been a batch issue, in any case your ECU may not have the affected capacitors in it to start with.

All I'm saying is If people want to start talking leaky caps in ECU's they need to be very specific on the part numbers of the ECU.

I have a fourth spare 89661-17321 ECU but wouldn't risk putting it in the car, the TVIS resistor got fried so no idea what else the idiot did to it but I could strip it and post the pictures. There is a complete lack of Electrolytic capacitors in it.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 23/04/21 3:53 Based on me never having a problem with my ECU's.

Ah yes, you've not had a problem with your handful of ECU's, therefore everyone else in the world who has must be wrong.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

SonicSW20 wrote: 23/04/21 9:57
MR2DI4 wrote: 23/04/21 3:53 Based on me never having a problem with my ECU's.

Ah yes, you've not had a problem with your handful of ECU's, therefore everyone else in the world who has must be wrong.
My life has been electronics and component level repair and design so yes if I say there is not a problem with a specific version of the ECU then there is not a problem with it. I'm happy to investigate further if you can tell me which caps on that particular ECU are supposed to fail and they would get replaced by solid aluminum or better quality electrolytic before they fail.

If you cannot post something useful like C X or C XX fails to help people on here, then chime out.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 23/04/21 22:46 My life has been electronics and component level repair and design so yes if I say there is not a problem with a specific version of the ECU then there is not a problem with it. I'm happy to investigate further if you can tell me which caps on that particular ECU are supposed to fail and they would get replaced by solid aluminum or better quality electrolytic before they fail.

If you cannot post something useful like C X or C XX fails to help people on here, then chime out.
I'm not going to sit here and list links, just go to Google and search for terms like "MR2 Turbo ECU capacitor" and you'll find countless examples of the issue for earlier generations.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

I had problem with leaking capacitors..Rev2 when starting the engine the engine management light go out but then glowing slightly from very bright and dull colour. Rev3 would hard to start you've to keep your foot on throttle to make the engine running..lot's of black smoke and smell of unburned fuel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”