2gr standard ecu speed limit?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Re: 2gr standard ecu speed limit?

Post by Fuppylodders »

gavsdavs wrote: 03/08/21 21:42 Also, play with this.

https://mr2.phpwerx.net/turbocalc/gearratios.php
Had a go with it, I don't know how 2 calculators can be slightly different when the input values are the same :blink:
Your calculator provided the attached image results. A few mph less on each gear than the one I previously linked :search: :giveup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

Fuppylodders wrote: 03/08/21 22:30
gavsdavs wrote: 03/08/21 21:37 FWIW, stock MR2 rear tyre sizes are 225/50/15
or more often seen these days: 245/40/17

I run a 245/40/17 and it's within 1% of GPS speed (but then i no longer use an E153 so it may be irrelevant)

You are running 225/45/17, i'm not sure if that's a smaller rolling circumference to a 225/50/15
24.97 is the tire diameter of 225/45/17
23.86 is the diameter of 225/50/15
So the 15 sliiiiiightly smaller.

Also, I do believe the e153 5th gear can be swapped out easily. I've been told by a few people already it can (I'm only talking from what I've been told, I don't want to say you're wrong, but what I've been told and shown in a video does lead me to believe it can be done)
Video of an e154f (I know, not an E153 but essentially the same, just with a transfer case on it)
5:11 to 6:55

Nothing else needs to be removed. At that point, 5th gear can be swapped out with another. I'd previously had inklings there may be an e53 5th gear in mine, as it matches the ratio to speed to the assumed rev limit of 6250 almost perfectly.

Ask yourself how likely it is that you have a gearbox with a modified 5th that you've been given silently (a change is usually expressed as an upgrade, isn't it)

I've always been told (by paul W and Gouky) that the way you extend ratios in an E153 is to change the final drive (and oil pump gear and ring gear), as there are 3 different variants, where the turbo mr2 variant uses the shortest ratios (and the E51 from a manual camry uses the tallest).

I had an E153 with a 4.125 set and a 3.933 set. Andy Ayres sought out the 3.6 set and uses that.

I'm not categorically stating you can't change the 5th on an E153, I've just never heard of it. I'm also saying that it's pretty common to have people change 5ths in an S54 (the N/A gearbox) and it's often done in v6 converted MR2s.

Up to you what you believe/can work out.

If you really want taller ratios, change your final drive, use taller tyres.

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

gavsdavs wrote: 04/08/21 12:08

Ask yourself how likely it is that you have a gearbox with a modified 5th that you've been given silently (a change is usually expressed as an upgrade, isn't it)

I've always been told (by paul W and Gouky) that the way you extend ratios in an E153 is to change the final drive (and oil pump gear and ring gear), as there are 3 different variants, where the turbo mr2 variant uses the shortest ratios (and the E51 from a manual camry uses the tallest).

I had an E153 with a 4.125 set and a 3.933 set. Andy Ayres sought out the 3.6 set and uses that.

I'm not categorically stating you can't change the 5th on an E153, I've just never heard of it. I'm also saying that it's pretty common to have people change 5ths in an S54 (the N/A gearbox) and it's often done in v6 converted MR2s.

Up to you what you believe/can work out.

If you really want taller ratios, change your final drive, use taller tyres.
I'd say its entirely a possibility, given I know nothing of its history, given how limiting it is on my top speed when there are no issues between 1-4 and whatever its revving to, is the same in all gears.
I know full well I can change the FD, being in the uk, makes it difficult to get hold of a different final drive.

For me and my uses, its certainly not an upgrade, its like having two 4th gears. No one wants two 4th gears unless they want it on a track where they're less likely to hit 150 but know they can make it to 130 kinda thing. I don't know, I have no idea why. I just know it feels wrong.

I'd sooo love to get my hands on a 3.9 set, but, given how sought after they are, and my lack of contacts (and luck) it won't be happening anytime soon.
It also still doesn't answer my original question posed at the start as its that info that'd be the final nail in the coffin for my thoughts/educated assumptions :no:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

There's really only one way to be sure, take it out and count the teeth. Given you don't know what rpm your doing, any other method is basically guesswork.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I picked up a 3.9FD set from Gouky, they were still available in the US (this was 2013, mind you)

Alternatively scour the scrap yards for manual camrys. Not sure where Andy got his from.

If your 4th and 5th are almost identical I don't know what's happened.

You do kind of need to know your RPM, everything is speculation

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

jimi wrote: 04/08/21 14:48 There's really only one way to be sure, take it out and count the teeth. Given you don't know what rpm your doing, any other method is basically guesswork.
I understand the ratios... But how do I determine how many teeth its meant to have?
I'll certainly be doing that anyway, will be easy enough once the tyranny is out to pop the end case off.

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Why not use an OBD reader for the RPM. Did Paul wire up the obd port ?

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

gavsdavs wrote: 04/08/21 15:52 I picked up a 3.9FD set from Gouky, they were still available in the US (this was 2013, mind you)

Alternatively scour the scrap yards for manual camrys. Not sure where Andy got his from.

If your 4th and 5th are almost identical I don't know what's happened.

You do kind of need to know your RPM, everything is speculation
Camry's weren't available in the uk at that point, I got more chance of finding unicorn poo at a scrappy :laughing

Not quite everything, but I get your point :th:

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

gavsdavs wrote: 04/08/21 17:43 Why not use an OBD reader for the RPM. Did Paul wire up the obd port ?
Not entirely sure tbh. I'm not even sure where it was if I'm honest because celica ones never worked-fault codes were always done by bridging a wire across two connector points in thr engine bay.
I'll need to look into it. I think I may know where it could be, it does only have 4 wires connected to it though (even though there's space for about 3 times as many)

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

Here's the plug-it was under the steering wheel.
Does anyone recognise it? Can it be the obd2 with only 4 wires?
https://flic.kr/p/2mfto5n
Image2021-08-05_07-56-00

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

OK, so, doing a little research, it is it, and it reads canbus (the grey is canbus high and one below that is canbus low-not sure what that means just yet, but I'ma look into it).

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

yeah obd2 in its basic form is a serial protocol, doesn't need too many wires. Stick a reader on it.

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

gavsdavs wrote: 06/08/21 22:58 yeah obd2 in its basic form is a serial protocol, doesn't need too many wires. Stick a reader on it.
Reader ordered :th:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

I bought an ELM327 reader out of China years ago now on Ebay it was as cheap as chips. Software like Torque lite is free on your mobile but I bought a licensed copy of Scan Master for a Windows PC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272884217107

Works great with Toyota and Subaru doesn't work on BMW but nothing ends up working on a BMW never worked on such junk.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”