Help swapping Rev3 3sge into Jap Rev2.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
JamesDM

Help swapping Rev3 3sge into Jap Rev2.

Post by JamesDM »

So my Rev2 Jap Import engine started knocking horribly awhile back and I took off my oil pan finding shards, its quite high on mileage so instead of attempting to fix it I thought I would put in a new engine.
I looked for rev2 engines and can barely find any that are lower than 100k miles and aren't insanely priced, so I was looking at rev3 3sge's and they are far cheaper and usually have less mileage.
I was talking to one of the lads selling a rev3 and he said I could reuse my rev2 loom and ecu but I'm not sure if this is true.
I'm intending on putting the auto gearbox on it anyway as currently I cant be bothered manual swapping the car.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure if I would need to get a rev3 ecu and loom or I can just reuse mine which would save a lot of money.
3SGE.jpg
3SGE.jpg (71.55 KiB) Viewed 44 times

BYRNEY1984
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Help swapping Rev3 3sge into Jap Rev2.

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

Yep just drop the rev 3 engine in and hook up you existing rev1/2 auto harness to the engine. And it will run perfectly fine. I did this many years ago to my rev 1 import for the same reason before swapping in a v6. All the engine plugs are the same. The only difference I can remember was the ignitor coil ht lead plug was slightly different. I used the rev 1 king lead to the dizzy. If I have any pics I’ll upload them if it helps

BYRNEY1984
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Help swapping Rev3 3sge into Jap Rev2.

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

Heres a couple from a donor car I bought many years ago. It was a jdm rev 1 auto with a rev 3 engine. But using the rev 1 harness and ecu. If they are of any use and visible. Also it retained the jdm speed limit of 114 mph/180kph.
Attachments
IMG_0931.jpeg
IMG_0934.jpeg
IMG_0883.jpeg
IMG_0836.jpeg
IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_0847.jpeg

Return to “MK2”