First time MR2 owner

Welcome to the club, come and say hello

Topic author
JonL

First time MR2 owner

Post by JonL »

Hi all
I've, lets say, inherited a 1991 MR2 from my father.... he's essentially given up driving and was a bit of a car collector and this is one of his many cars I'm now the custodian of.
At this point I'm just checking it over with little to know knowledge of these cars and, if I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not sure on it's future just yet.
All I know is my dad had it for about 5 years and he bought it off a neighbour because I think he liked the look of it. He never used it but instead parked it at the back of his barn and, I'm sad to say, there it sat for pretty much from his ownership onwards.
Last summer (once he had completely given up driving and I knew there was no chance of it ever being used), I took it from the barn straight to an MOT station (about 1 mile) expecting to get a long list of failure issues which would then become my 'to do' list. It was a long list, but these were only advisories and it did manage a pass :confused1:
But again it was never really used and I put it back in the barn - I have now decided to extract it from the back of the barn and work through the list of advisories.... these were mainly brake related through it just sitting there for years and a couple of other jobs.

So that's me and my scenario.....I'm likely to need some guidance and assistance over the next few months, so I hope you won't mind be posting questions and queries here. I have a couple already so may well be active over the next few days. As I mentioned, I'm not sure on the long term future of this car.... my plan for now is to work on the MOT advisories and put it in for another MOT in July - the result of that may well help my decide what to do after.

good to meet you all
kind regards
Jon

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: First time MR2 owner

Post by jimi »

Welcome to the club :th:
Ask away, we'll help if we can.
Check out Know Your 2 https://mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.html and the tech sections https://mr2oc.co.uk/forum/67.html pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about MR2's, if you can't find the info you need just ask. :cool1:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Welcome. Any spec or pics? Be interesting to know more about it
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
JonL

Post by JonL »

Hi both
Thanks for the welcomes - I'll upload some pics in the near future and provide the specs once I fully know them.... So far I just think it's a 16v non-turbo, non-TBar import in red
One thing I've recently discovered is that it has the somewhat less common early brake spec. I initially ordered the wrong brake rebuild kit that didn't really fit and since found out it has slightly smaller rear discs (263mm) and pistons (44mm??) so have had to re-order.... ha

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

If you PM me the VIN number I find the build date i.e. the Month/Year it was built
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Sounds like a rev 1 or early rev 2. Does it have a sunroof or solid roof?
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

JonL wrote: 30/05/24 8:57 One thing I've recently discovered is that it has the somewhat less common early brake spec. I initially ordered the wrong brake rebuild kit that didn't really fit and since found out it has slightly smaller rear discs (263mm) and pistons (44mm??) so have had to re-order.... ha
That's the Revision 1 size. Rev 2 is larger and thicker. The calipers are different as well.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/topic/che ... 66412.html
Also, a stock OEM Rev 1 has 14" diameter wheels. Rev 2 are 15".
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
JonL

Post by JonL »

Hi all again
Sorry for the delay in coming back - I've been on holiday

Jimi - I'll PM you the chassis number once I have it to hand - thanks

There is no sunroof - so just a tin roof and I've now received the brake caliper kit from the early 89-91 years and that fits fine. So can confirm your thoughts in it being a Rev 1
Am I right in thinking it was just the rears that were different? I need to do the fronts but the caliper kits seem to be the same right through from 89-2000.

The wheels aren't standard - it actually has 18" wheels, but that's because it has a Ferrari 355 body kit.

Thanks Jon

Return to “Introduce Yourself”