STEREO WIRES CUT AWAY BIG BIG MESS PLEASE HELP

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.

Topic author
98duffa

Post by 98duffa »

what it is i do know the previous owner at some point had a dvd player wired up and used the phono leads instead of the speaker wires from the dvdplayer. atm all wires have been cut from the original white connector. it has the power wire from the stereo wired to a red wire from the car and the earth to the brown and obviously the aerial as a earth when plugged in.this gives the unit power, but no phono leads or speaker wires are wired anymore. all of the wires are as follows blue, brown, red, yellow, white, green and white, green, black, red and black, pink and blue, another white, another red, another green and another brown. please will someone please tell me how to get this thing alive

Topic author
pdol666

Post by pdol666 »

Try this it is the wiring diagram for the active system (the one with the amps) looking at the wire coluors its the one you have
hope this helps
Paul

Topic author
98duffa

Post by 98duffa »

thanks for the diagram, thought would have helped maybe its just me doing everything wrong. im wiring the fl+ from head unit to the white wire the fr+ to the red wire and so on, no joy HELP i want sound

PaulNowak
Deceased Member R.I.P
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PaulNowak »

I once made the mistake of cutting the plug off the active sytem in my car (not knowing it was an active system at the time)

Thought it couldn't be too hard to figure out.

All I can suggest is that if you're putting in a conventional HU, find your switched live, constant live, aerial feed, put in your own earth and run your own speaker cables through.

Totally different kettle of fish of you have a passive system.

My 2p all the same.

(and I see thet you 2 guys are from the NW, and we're yet to be introduced)

Topic author
98duffa

Post by 98duffa »

i know what you mean but dont fancy stripping everything down to rewire. its got to be set up like this for some stupid reason lol

PaulNowak
Deceased Member R.I.P
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: STEREO WIRES CUT AWAY BIG BIG MESS PLEASE HELP

Post by PaulNowak »

98duffa wrote:i know what you mean but dont fancy stripping everything down to rewire. its got to be set up like this for some stupid reason lol
I have fitted more car stereos over the years than I care to remember.

But if you're dealing with the active system, and have no connector to fit to the Autoleads loom, you're going to get all manner of interference and screaming (take it from one who knows)

In fact I got so annoyed with the system in my old car, that its still sat in it, and my new car has been left with the system that Mr T put in there in the first place.

But I digress, if I was to be doing my old car over again, I'd just bypass all the amps, and go straight to every individual speaker.

Topic author
shefblade

Post by shefblade »

I have recently fitted a new head unit in my 2, managed to get it working using the built in amps. You have to use the pre amp outs on the back of your head unit to get them working. The red and white wires are for the front two speakers and the blue and brown ones are for the rear. Let me know how you get on. It is quite easy once you know where the wires are.

Topic author
shefblade

Post by shefblade »

Forget to say, the amp remote wire on your new stereo needs to be used to switch the amps on when you turn your stereo on.

Topic author
mark.slad

Post by mark.slad »

hi how can i tell if my mk2 rev 1 is an passive or active setup any help would be very welcome

Topic author
NinjaQ

Post by NinjaQ »

I have the problem of an active system with no connector block, is it easy to run new speaker wires to bypass the amp??

Topic author
shefblade

Post by shefblade »

The plug for an active setup is the white one and you can look in the box behind the passenger seat for the sub. I think they're all an active system but only the GT model had the sub. It is easy to bypass the amp. You just have to take the side panels off and the door cards to get to the speakers to solder new wires on. For the door speakers I put little holes in the grommets and run the wires outside of them.

Return to “ICE”