Installing atmospheric dump valve,

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Installing atmospheric dump valve,

Post by shinny »

Howlin_Mad wrote:So the Rev3+ don't run rich with a leaky bov?
Can't see why it should... unless the vac line from the plenum to the BOV is leaking.

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

shinny wrote:
Woody928 wrote:Slight hijack here, my apologies. but on rev3+ tubbys (I have a rev4) are the aftermarket bovs better for the car?
the rev3+ engines meter air via the MAP sensor which is plumbed into the intake manifold after the throttle body, as opposed to the rev1/2 engines using the AFM that is on the induction kit before the turbo's compressor. A BOV venting to atmosphere dumps air from between the turbo and the throttle, meaning the air metering on rev3+ engines are unaffected because the BOV is dumping unmetered air. However on the earlier engines the air is metered by the AFM before it is dumped, meaning the ECU thinks MUCH more air is going into the engine that actually is, meaning it shoves loads of fuel into the cylinders and causes a majorly rich situation, hence potential bogging down and temporary lack of power immediately after a dump.
Thanks mate, quite interesting to know how it works, sounds like there's not really much point though unless you get a new one and want that that whoosh noise.
Howlin_Mad wrote: Depends if the aftermarket one is in better condition than your stock one! I've just found out mine isn't!
HM
:shocked:
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

I had more popping, banging and flames on my rev3 turbo than I've ever had on my rev 1&2 turbos.
Had several afm turbo cars all with vent to atmosphere and never an issue. The recirculated air will still be rich for a moment so makes little odds.
If the car is running rough or bogging down its not the dumped air but usually a leak on the vacuum side much like a single piston and/or diaphragm type bov
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
dan2k5

Post by dan2k5 »

We have had another play with it tonight and unfortunately are no further forward. The vacuum pipe from the bov is now attached to the intake manifold but it still won't boost. It dumps just fine but no performance, actually feels slower than old engine. Anyone have any ideas?

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Do you have a decent boost gauge fitted?

If not, that's your first job. See what it's doing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

Topic author
dan2k5

Post by dan2k5 »

Hi Gaz, no not as yet. Will get him to fit one. Would temperature have anything to do with restricting the turbo? Theres still air trapped in the system as when we went for a drive the gauge started going down as we were moving.

GazRev1Tubby

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Did you pour the coolant in slowly when you bled it? If you pour it in too quickly, you'll trap air in the system and make it much harder to bleed.

Literally just trickle it in, from a measuring jug.

If its running the stock setup, boost will be limited on a cold engine, you shouldn't be any where near boost until properly up to temp. At least 10 minutes of driving until you try and boost. The coolant gauge is not an indication of a warm engine, the oil takes twice as long to get to operating temperature.

1996 BPU Supra TT ;)

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

A gauge that drops is usually sign of a stick open thermostat.

As said, any drop in temp, will also lower oil temps.
If ecu isn't seeing the temp it wants it will disable the stock boost controller and limit your boost.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
dan2k5

Post by dan2k5 »

Cheers guys, and yeah we did pour it in slow to try and avoid trapping air in but the gauge is still playing up. Will get him to buy a thermostat to eliminate that possibility.

MRturboTom

Post by MRturboTom »

dan2k5 wrote:Cheers guys, and yeah we did pour it in slow to try and avoid trapping air in but the gauge is still playing up. Will get him to buy a thermostat to eliminate that possibility.
Buy a genuine part. You'll need the rubber seal too.
The little valve in it is to be fitted at the top!

GazRev1Tubby

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

The jiggle valve in the stat has to align with the notch on the thermostat housing, check the bgb as that will show you what I mean ;)

1996 BPU Supra TT ;)

Topic author
dan2k5

Post by dan2k5 »

Quick update on this, we fitted a boost gauge tonight but its constantly stuck at 0 which doesn't look promising. Dump valve is still dumping loud but theres no boost at all on it. He has not bought a thermo yet.

MRturboTom

Post by MRturboTom »

Is it plumbed in correctly as 0 is just atmosphericpressure.
Should idle about -0.7

Topic author
dan2k5

Post by dan2k5 »

As far as I can see yes, i plumbed a t piece in between the turbo pressure sensor and the white filter.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”