Exhaust options

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Exhaust options

Post by Howlin_Mad »

N52 wrote:
Howlin_Mad wrote:
TonyleFrog wrote:I wouldn't want to do any motorway driving with one fitted. PeteJ had a Japspeed on his n/a. Insanely loud and I never ever saw him arrive at a meet without his earpieces in.
This ^^^^^^

Ridicously loud. I have a turbo Japspeed on my V6 and it is loud, but not in the same league for horrible noise wise as a GE. Good luck! And buy ear plugs!

HM

What do you constitute for horrible noise?

Is this Motorway driving or just for driving around town etc?
I didn't think an exhaust could have been much louder than my turbo japspeed on the V6, but hearing one on a GE I was quickly proven wrong. The V6 was used regularly for commuting to work and some long trips (my only regular drivers are MR2's) and it became increasingly more difficult to bear with. First fitted, and a new toy, it was epic! But it really does grate now. So much so it's SORN'd. My turbo which is a better driver and much quicker is so much quieter and a nicer place to be whatever the journey. Still love the V6 though! The noise is intoxicating, but only on the odd occasion, so with a GE I can only guess the novelty will wear off even quicker.

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
glimitedmr2

Post by glimitedmr2 »

If you can wait and keep you eye out the 5zigen Pro Racer exhausts come rarely. I've got one for mine..

They sound quite nice too. Not too loud like the Japspeed.

http://youtu.be/5qzo-LsrA7A

Topic author
mattp

Post by mattp »

I can confirm the 5zigen Pro Racer is nice, I have one on my beams fitted with a CAT and gives a nice sound when you put your foot down but quiet enough around town.

Has anyone thought about custom fitting a Berk turbo exhaust to an NA? I had a wod with my local Jap tuners and they seem to be of the opinion that very possible just need to fabricate a step up pipe from the 2.25" to 3" to fit the Berk. I think this exhaust looks probably the best on the back of our car IMHO :th: Someone must have though or tried this already. Berk has a nice tone to it.

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

As an aside, I got banned from my local multi storey carpark in the V6 with the turbo Japseed. Looking for a space at no more than 1200 revs and the entire place was car alarm central. Must have set off over a hundred I would have thought :blush:

HM

Topic author
glimitedmr2

Post by glimitedmr2 »

mattp wrote:I can confirm the 5zigen Pro Racer is nice, I have one on my beams fitted with a CAT and gives a nice sound when you put your foot down but quiet enough around town.

Has anyone thought about custom fitting a Berk turbo exhaust to an NA? I had a wod with my local Jap tuners and they seem to be of the opinion that very possible just need to fabricate a step up pipe from the 2.25" to 3" to fit the Berk. I think this exhaust looks probably the best on the back of our car IMHO :th: Someone must have though or tried this already. Berk has a nice tone to it.
I used to have a Fujitsubo Legalis R on my NA. But it was so loud! Instead of getting the exhaust chopped up to fit. Ask an exhaust place to make you a custom de-cat pipe. That way you don't bodge you exhaust and you can still fit other exhausts. That's what I had done on mine

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

Howlin_Mad wrote:As an aside, I got banned from my local multi storey carpark in the V6 with the turbo Japseed. Looking for a space at no more than 1200 revs and the entire place was car alarm central. Must have set off over a hundred I would have thought :blush:

HM
LOL that's shocking !

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Nah, he wasn't looking for a space, just being a hooligan. :rolleyes:

No way would I leave my car in a multi storey car park. The spaces are invariably too small. An invitation to have the doors dinged. Plus some have ramps between levels so steep that they can wreck the front lip on my car.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:Nah, he wasn't looking for a space, just being a hooligan. :rolleyes:

No way would I leave my car in a multi storey car park. The spaces are invariably too small. An invitation to have the doors dinged. Plus some have ramps between levels so steep that they can wreck the front lip on my car.
No, Idling around on throttle in Lichfield where parking on a weekend is really limited. I couldn't help it! It wasn't loud, but it was the rumble of the V6! Must have been some resonance at that rpm! :blush:

HM

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Yep, definitely a harmonic frequency. I set off alarms with my Nur Spec R every time I park at the supermarket or go to Bluewater and I'm not even trying!
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
mattp

Post by mattp »

glimitedmr2 wrote:
mattp wrote:I can confirm the 5zigen Pro Racer is nice, I have one on my beams fitted with a CAT and gives a nice sound when you put your foot down but quiet enough around town.

I used to have a Fujitsubo Legalis R on my NA. But it was so loud! Instead of getting the exhaust chopped up to fit. Ask an exhaust place to make you a custom de-cat pipe. That way you don't bodge you exhaust and you can still fit other exhausts. That's what I had done on mine
Thats the idea would never cut up a berk back box section just modify a new pipe to connect the two. Has anyone tried this yet? As soon as I manage to get my hands on one I want to try.

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:Yep, definitely a harmonic frequency. I set off alarms with my Nur Spec R every time I park at the supermarket or go to Bluewater and I'm not even trying!
Believe me, I didn't try going into that Multi Storey! And now they've gone and built another new one! Looks like the V6 is going back on the road :D :laughing

Flat battery anyone in Lichfield? Because you'll have one soon ;)

HM

Return to “MK2”