Springs stopping wheel going on

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Austin31611

Springs stopping wheel going on

Post by Austin31611 »

Hi all just bought some 18" Lexus alloys for my mr2 import. Has standard springs on it. Fitted the rears on fine but on the front where the springs are so wide the wheel won't fit on. Anyone know if you can buy springs which are thinner (rather than coilovers,if so can you name brand). Or got any other good ideas. Have looked into spacers but looking at it I think I will need at least 40mm which will then cause wheels to stick out a lot and also cost a fair bit. Thanks

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Re: Springs stopping wheel going on

Post by MRturboTom »

You'll need 215/35 tyres up front with a low offset or you will foul the spring seat so replacing the spring won't help
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

MRturboTom wrote:You'll need 215/35 tyres up front with a low offset or you will foul the spring seat so replacing the spring won't help
+1 lexus are usually et50 so you will need spacers as well as the tyres Tom has suggested
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I've got to ask why, but, hell, it's your car. From memory the stock et is around 36. You can work out (and I repeat, work out, under absolutely no circumstances drive the car in this condition) what's required for a fit (ideally you want to keep the (adjusted) ET as close to stock) by using washers as temporary spacers and measuring them.

Over 10mm you'll certainly need hubcentrics, longer studs too (should be some to suit off another Toyota).

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Stock front is 15" 6j et45
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”