Car has no power

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Stevie2502

Car has no power

Post by Stevie2502 »

Hi
To jump in on this thread. I’ve just came back from 3 weeks away from my Rev 5 non turbo and it’s completely dead too. Same as above with no lights or anything. Remote central locking did not work to unlock it so I used the key. The red light on the dash isn’t flashing either. I tried jumping it with battery starter but remained dead and didn’t give any indication of life. I’ll have a better look at fuses and test the load of the battery tomorrow. If the car hasn’t immobilised itself would it remain dead like this. It’s a 3 yr old car battery. It doesn’t feel like the battery. I’ve had loads of flat batteries after holidays. I think it must be alarm system in 1 way or another but don’t really know where to start. Will have a look at the above advice tomorrow as well. Cheers.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Car has no power

Post by jimi »

Sounds to me like the battery is flat, disconnect the battery and check what voltage is on it, if you have a charger, put the battery on charge for at least 6 hrs.
Alarm/immobiliser does not cut the power to the car
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Stevie2502

Post by Stevie2502 »

Yep, battery was flat as a pancake. I’ve not had that before when car has been completely dead and couldn’t jump or boost. I put a load tester on it and think it’s by its best. Only 3 yr old battery. Now I’ve run it for a few days, it starts fine and no trouble but when I put the windows up or down u see the dash battery indicator really drop.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

It's not unusual to see the dash meter drop like that, mine flickers when the indicators flash.
If you have a meter check the battery voltage with the engine off and with it running. You should get around 12.5v with the engine off and around 14.2 with it running (above 1000rpm)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Return to “MK2”