Cold Idle Problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
littlemisstubby

Re: Cold Idle Problem

Post by littlemisstubby »

Did the ecu temp sensor throw an error 22 code when you unplugged it?

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

How would i know if it threw an error code?

Topic author
littlemisstubby

The engine management light will show on the dash.

Check for error codes using this guide -
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=162

Instead of the SST use a paperclip. If the ecu temp sensor threw an error the em light will flash a code 22. :th:

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

Ok thanks ill try it and update with what happens :)

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

UPDATE.. Reset ecu by unplugging efi fuse, let car warm up and checked fault codes, got number 22 and 24 showing up which is coolant temp sensor and air intake sensor. Where do i go from here? Can they be cleaned or anything? Or have i got to source new ones? Thanks in advance.

Topic author
littlemisstubby

The error 24 is the airbox intake air temp sensor I referred to. If you swap it with the sensor on the engine bay lid it should help things, if the original is still attached of course. :)

The error 22 may be just down to the sensor being disconnected with the engine running.

Id swap the airbox sensor then reset the ecu by pulling the efi fuse for 5 minutes. Then take the car for a run and see if the error 22 (or 24) returns. :)

If it does then you need a new ecu temp sensor. They are about £15 from Camskill.co.uk. :th:

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

Thanks alot, ive swapped the airbox sensor with the engine bay lid sensor and it idles quite abit nicer, havent checked if the fault code has gone yet tho. And fault code 22 come up when the sensor was plugged in? Does this mean i need a new ecu temp sensor? Thanks again in advance, much appreciated.

Topic author
littlemisstubby

Try an ecu reset, then give the car a good run out. If the code 22 is still there then you may need a new sensor. Is the wiring in the ecu temp sensor connector ok? Sometimes the wires can corrode and become weak and snap off. :)

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

The codes have all gone now, but my cold idle is still 900 same as my warm idle so ive just ordered a new ecu temp sensor, for the sake of £13.99 thought might aswell lol :) thanks for the help!

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

Ok changed the ecu temp sensor and guess what? No change. Im thinking about just giving up as the car idleing at 900 when cold and when warm doesn't actually affect how it drives or how it runs.

Topic author
littlemisstubby

Does your car have the cold start injector time switch? Check for a grey plugged sensor next to the green ecu temp sensor. :)

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

yes there is a grey plug right near the ecu temp sensor mate, is there anything i can do to test this though as i don't want to keep buying things that might not make a difference lol

Topic author
littlemisstubby

temo_shay wrote:yes there is a grey plug right near the ecu temp sensor mate, is there anything i can do to test this though as i don't want to keep buying things that might not make a difference lol
I'd test the sensor in a pan of hot water. You may need a thermometer though.
Using a multimeter check the resistances of the sensor against this guide -

The n/a resistances will be roughly the same as the turbo ones in that guide. If they are wildly out or you can't get a reading at all then the sensor may be duff. Check its wiring connector too and see if the terminals are clean and the connector pushes on ok.

If it is fubar then I would look for a good tested used one as new sensors are about £200 iirc. :)

Topic author
temo_shay

Post by temo_shay »

UPDATE; ive also replace the cold start timer injector switch thing lol gave the car a service, yet the idle problem remains! And when the engine is cold, when revved it goes to die. But it is fine when its warm?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”